Chapter 5 - Two Birds

February, 2003

"I trusted Martin Bashir to come into my life and that of my family because I wanted the truth to be told.

"Martin Bashir persuaded me to trust him; that his would be an honest and fair portrayal of my life and told me that he was 'the man that turned Diana's life around'.

"I am surprised that a professional journalist would compromise his integrity by deceiving me in this way.

"Today I feel more betrayed than perhaps ever before; that someone, who had got to know my children, my staff and me, whom I let into my heart and told the truth, could then sacrifice the trust I placed in him and produce this terrible and unfair program.

"Everyone who knows me will know the truth which is that my children come first in my life and that I would never harm any child.

"I also want to thank my fans around the world for the overwhelming number of messages of support that I have received, particularly from Great Britain, where people have e-mailed me and said how appalled they were by the Bashir film.

"Their love and support has touched me greatly."

This cruel act only pushed Michael further away from the writing project the world was already impatiently waiting for.

"Forget it!" he yelled to his lawyer John Branca over the phone. "Forget it! I'm not writing another word."

"But this book will show a different side of you, a side the world obviously needs to see."

"No. I don't care. Why should I? She betrayed me! She doesn't deserve my praise."

"Michael, let's not turn this all around on Nya. Your're not fully innocent in this."

     Michael cringed hearing John speak her government name. He had gotten so used to calling her by her pseudonym Maya.

"We can find her," John tried to convince. "You just have to reel her in. She's scared."

"I don't care what she is. I'm not writing the book." For only the third time in his life, Michael hung up on his longtime advisor. That meant Michael's decision was final. He was no longer interested in writing the book, nor finding Ya-Ya.

John had to speak with the woman from the publishing company about Michael's decision. She was very unhappy about it.

"Listen, I'd try to convince him further but it would be pointless. He's made his decision."

"But why?" the woman probed. "He seemed so excited about this mysterious woman."

"Look, this woman was someone Michael truly did care about but to be honest with ya', he wasn't even planning on telling the whole truth. The things he was going to write in this book was only half of the story."

"Half? Why would he do that?"

"Because...it's complicated. Very recent, he was in close contact with her."

"Recent? Michael told us that he hasn't seen her since the early 90's."

John sighed. "Uh, yeah. He did say that but the truth is it hasn't even been a year since he'd last seen her. I think last March, of 2002. But then something major happened between the two of them and she disappeared. We tried finding her but no luck. So, this was his desperate attempt to reach out to her and let her know how much she meant to him and how sorry he was for all the pain he put her through. But he wasn't even going to write about their real troubles. Everything was going to stop after 1993. But they had much more contact after that. That's when everything really did happen."