chapter ten

________________________________
monday, october 15

I stared into my cereal bowl, watching the Fruit Loops swim around the milk. As my spoon caught onto a few pieces of cereal, I accidentally dropped it onto the bowl. It was hopeless; I couldn't get my mind off what happened yesterday. I stood up to Jayden. And I got kicked off the team. My thoughts were interrupted when a cheery Hayden skipped past my front door.

"Hayden, what are you doing here? I still have an hour to get ready!" I groaned, trying to cover my bedhead with my hands.

"I just wanted to apologize. I should've stuck up for you when Jayden was being rude."

"It's whatever." I mumble, tossing my dishes into the sink.

"Alright, just wanted to make sure we were on good terms." he smiled.

I gave him a small grin as I headed upstairs to my room. Once I got dressed, did my makeup, and brushed my hair, I was about ready to leave. Somehow, I was a bit early today. Heading downstairs, I was surprised to still see Hayden on the couch.

"What are you still doing here?" I asked him, plopping down on the cushion.

"I don't know, I got bored. Sorry, I probably should've let you know I never left." he said, scooting closer to me.

"It's okay." I murmured. I could feel his minty breath right onto mine. It was quiet for a few moments; right as I looked into his eyes and he looked into mine.

"Well, we better get going." Hayden blurted out, ruining the moment.

"Oh- right.. school — haha!" I stuttered, blushing.

"You okay?" he asked.

"Perfectly fine. Let's go." I replied.

________________________________
courtyard

"There you are Annie!" a bubbly Kenzie shrieked.

"What are you all hyped out about?" I asked.

"Johnny just asked me out!" she squealed.

"Johnny.. wait.. since when did you like Johnny?"

"Oh my god — I never even told you!"

"It's okay, I'm still happy for you." I smiled.

"Anyways, I need to talk to you. Privately." Kenzie whispered, popping the "p" in privately. She dragged me by the hand all the way to the janitors closet.

"This place smells like sh-" she started.

"—Stop complaining and just spill!" I laughed.

"I think that mystery person who texted us is Jayden." Kenzie said.

"No, it can't be."

"Who else would want to make your life miserable?"

"Point. I hope this isn't too much to ask for, but can you watch Jayden to see what times she's on her phone? Nevermind, I sound stupid and insane." I sigh.

"No, of course I will! Anything for my best friend."

"Thank you Kenz." I smile while hugging her. She returned the gesture before stepping out of the janitors closet. Right before I left, my phone buzzed.