chapter one

________________________________

[ monday, september 17 ]

As I adjusted the straps to my Jansport backpack, I turned over to my best friend, Hayden Summerall. "I can't believe it's our first day of tenth grade! It feels like just yesterday we were fighting over who got to go on the swing set first." I laughed. He jerked his heard towards me and flashed a smile. Attaway High was just feet away, and I attempted not to shiver as I made my way to the steps. "Annie, promise you won't leave me for your friends, I don't want to look like a loser." Hayden whispers, trying to hide the fact that he was worried about his sophomore year. "Friends? You've known me for how long and you think I have friends besides you?" I answer in shock. "Oops." he mutters under his breath.

Once I open the door, I attempt to say something to Hayden but he's already gone. Sighing, I find my way to my locker. Unfortunately, it's next to the one person I fear the most.

Jayden Bartels.

Jayden; she can play any sport, she has the voice of an angel, plus perfect grades. She practically ruled this school, and she also spent the past four years trying to make my life as miserable as possible. Surrounding her were her "best friends," Lauren Orlando and Kenzie Ziegler. I kind of felt bad for Lauren and Kenzie, everyone could tell that Jayden sometimes gets on their nerves but they didn't have the guts to stand up to her.

"Well if it isn't Annie Leblanc. I'm shocked you didn't bring your dumb vlogging camera to school today!" she grinned.

"Well unlike you, I actually have a life people take interest to."

"Yeah, whatever. Have fun with your ten subscribers." she scoffed, shoving me towards my locker and sashaying away.

I really hope I don't have classes with her.

Once the bell rang, I found my way to first period; math. Looking at the seating chart printed on the board, I was going to be sitting next to a girl with the name Dylan Conrique. She kept her dark, thick hair up in a ponytail, her hair tie matching her black Adidas jacket.

"Hi, I'm Dylan. I really hope you're smart because I SUCK at math." she says.

"Then why are you in this class?" I quickly covered my mouth. Whoops, that came out a lot ruder then it meant to be.

"I have no clue!" she laughs.

I smile back at her and the teacher begins to speak.

Me and Dylan discover we both have English, our next period together. Sadly, she sat on the other side of the room and I was forced to sit with Kenzie.

"I...uh.. like your shirt." I blurted.

"Thanks. I got it for half off at Urban Outfitters. You should go there, they have really cute clothes." Kenzie suggested.

"Maybe I will." I replied.

Wait, was that supposed to be an insult?

-

Finally, it was time for lunch. I found my way to Hayden, who was sitting with Johnny and Connor, some of his friends who were on the swim team with him last spring.