Chapter 9: How?

dedicate to GraceHoylar for being such a great friend and reader xX 

I huffed as I stared at the clock dangling on the wall from across the room. I bit my lip, counting down the minutes I have left before the end of the day. Last class of the day and I can finally go and play with the new game my brothers bought yesterday. The plan was to play with Kevin but he had practice today and couldn't hang out today. Which I totally understand.

I ran a hand through my hair, a little grin appearing on my face as I saw the clocks hands tick away. Just 20 minutes left. I tried focusing in class but my focus kept wandering over at the clock. Since that day when Kevin took me to get icecream, I've been trying to avoid Niall at all cost. Which has been two days now. But I need that book he borrowed because I need to finish an assignment due this Friday.

I've been pondering on how I can approach him, what I'm gonna say to start off the conversation. I mean, do I need to start a conversation? He borrowed the book from me so I can just go ahead and tell him to give it to me, right? But wouldn't that seem rude? Or just maybe uptight? Or maybe it'd leave a good impression on him, kinda like saying I'm not playing around. Like I'm straight forward and tough. But that might scare him?

I jumped as I heard the bell ring. I blinked twice before I quickly grabbed my things and raced to the door. Walking towards my locker, my heart leaped through my chest.

"Why is he waiting there?" I gritted between my teeth. Speak of the devil and he shall appear. Amazing. Just where my locker was, stood Niall, the blonde Irish man, my book in between his hands.

I was preparing myself for this the entire afternoon, but I wasn't prepared at all. I was sweating, I could feel my pits producing water. I wanted so bad to run back but I am not a pussy and I'm just grabbing a book right? Not a big deal.

"Hey, Claire." Niall smiled at me, handing me my book. I gave him a small smile back and a nod, grabbing my book and pulling it close to my chest.

"Sorry, I wanted to return it yesterday but I didn't see you." He explained. I just nodded again, like my lips were sealed shut. I couldn't even look the guy in the eyes. He was about to say something but looked down and shook his head.

"I guess I'll see you around then." He smiled, only it was like a sad smile. Like he wanted to talk to me but couldn't and I felt bad.

Fucking hell Claire, you're really stupid. You could've said thanks or welcome or just hi. It's insane. It's crazy. He was just a boy. A boy!

I smacked my forehead and groaned, walking towards the exit and towards my car. I sighed and started driving away when I felt my engine slowing down. My eyes bulged out of their sockets as I jerked forward several times. I quickly drove to the side of the road, where my car all but gave up. It was like a mechanical asthma attack.

"What the fuck?" I huffed, exiting my car and checking the hood. Everything was good, it all looked okay. I knew so little about car engines. I scratched my head and groaned, not ready to walk home. I hated walking, I'm not fit person so anything that has to do with legs is a big no-no for me.

I suddenly heard a deep rumble above. I looked up and sure enough the sky was gray as shit. I raked my hair and tried opening the door to my car. It wouldn't budge.

I felt around for my pockets and sure enough, not my phone nor my car keys were inside. I peeped inside and there were my keys, dangling inside the ignition as if taunting me. I saw my phone from inside and I wanted to break the window at that second.

I banged my head a couple of times before I felt the first droplet on my shoulder. Not long enough, the rain just busted out of nowhere.

"Why?" I dramatically whined looking up. I kicked the tire of my car and a sharp pain shot up my leg, making me yelp out in pain. Is everything not going my way right now?

I suddenly heard a loud car honk. I jumped and looked behind me. Niall.

My cheeks flushed pink because I probably looked horrible. He was smiling at me before nodding his head towards the car. I sighed and took that as an invitation to get inside. I shut the door behind me and sighed, humming at the heat his car gave.

"What are you doing ruining my seats?"

I froze. I looked at him and blinked. Oh shit. Oh shit. I shouldn't have barged in like that. That was a bad idea. Shit.

"Niall, I'm so sorry. I thou-"

"Hey, relax. I'm kidding, I'm kidding." He laughed. I never wanted to smack a boy so hard before.

"You scared me, you piece of shit." I laughed with him, finding humor in his idiotic joke.

"What happened?" He asked, slowly driving away. "I shrugged and tried drying my hair as much as I could.

"Stupid car just stopped. Then I locked myself out." I chuckled, giving him a small glance. He laughed and nodded, driving in silence, the rain the only noise around us.

Come on, Claire, say something. Just say 'Chicago' and he'll probably say something about the city. Or just sorry? Or thank you? Or no, welcome? Or-

"Claire, why are you avoiding me?"

I almost choked. I stared at him, horrified. I didn't know what to say or utter or do. All I could do was stare at him as his muscles flexed every time the wheel turned.

"I-"

"It's fine, nothing to worry about. Just a little curious." He shrugged. I sighed and looked down. "I'm sorry. I was really embarrassed with what happened with us and I-"

"Claire, calm down. It's fine. I get it. But next time, talk to me. I really want us to be friends." He winked. I laughed add nodded, playing with my hair.

He pulled to a sop and I saw my house outside the window. I gave Niall a look. How'd he know where I lived?

"T-thanks Niall." I smiled and quickly got off the car and ran to my front door. I watched him drive away from our sidewalk and I stared at his car. How did he know where my address was? How'd he know which streets to turn to?

I had a nauseating feeling bubbling in my stomach but I ignored it. I smiled and got in my house.

At least we're okay now.