Chapter 8: Jelly

Chapter 8: Jelly

I was walking down the hallway, wanting the events from earlier to just get off my mind, better yet Niall's mind. What happened earlier just made me look so desperate. I guess there is a reason why I'm boyish. I bit my lip, trying hard not to bump into anyone else while I'm still so deep into my thoughts.

I saw my locker nearby and I almost breathed out a breath of relief. I can finally get home and forget about what had happened in that cafeteria. I quickly shoved my books into my locker, blowing some hair out of my face.

"Hey."

"Holy shi-, Niall."

"Hey, Claire."

That goddamn smile. I swear, it's gonna end me in some way that I won't be able to understand. I gulped and gave him a smile of my own. I raised my eyebrows at him, expecting him to say why he was here when I've been avoiding him for the entire day, which was difficult by the way.

"The book." He uttered pointing at my locker. I blinked at him and looked at him again. He chuckled and grabbed the History book in my locker, getting really close with me in the process, making me smell his minty cologne. God, I'm being creepy, sniffing people's cologne.

"Right. The book. Almost forgot." I laughed, horribly, as if it was forced. I forgot about the damn book. Here I was, trying to avoid a kid that was just transferred when all he wanted was to borrow a book. I'm such a weirdo, is this what it feels like to become a woman? I mean, am I starting to bloom?

Holy shit.

"Claire?"

I blinked, realizing I was staring at Niall the entire time. Okay, way to go embarrass yourself again, dumbass.

"Sorry, I zoned out for a bit." I apologized, closing my locker door and grabbing the strap of my bag tighter. I looked at him again and gave him a small smile, wanting nothing more but the earth to swallow me whole. I've embarrassed myself so much today, I could hold a world record. I turned my back at him, ready to walk away.

"Claire, about what happened..."

A breath hitched in my throat. I didn't want to talk about it. But somehow I knew he'd bring it up, I just wish he didn't. I swallowed, hard. I turned to him and suddenly a familiar mop of head caught my eye. He was standing behind Niall, about a few feet away, looking at me with the most intense gaze. 

"Kevin?" I voiced out, taking Niall aback. He looked behind him and Kevin walked straight past him. He then proceeded trudging his way to me before facing Niall, blocking my view of the Irish man. 

"What seems to be the problem here, kid?" Kevin breathed out. I furrowed my eyebrows at him and peeked from his broad shoulders, trying to see his face. He just looked like a stone, his eyes showing no hint of emotion which kinda freaked me out too. Niall furrowed his eyebrows too and gave him a face. I have a bad feeling this isn't gonna end well.

"I didn't think there was a problem at all, actually." Niall spoke, almost as calmly as Kevin. My eyes bulged from their sockets, feeling a sudden nervous feeling surrounding my stomach. I scratched my head and grabbed hold of Kevin's sleeves. 

"Hey, come on. I want ice cream." I cleared my throat. Kevin looked at me and nodded, sighing. He looked at Niall one more time before grabbing me and pulling me away from him. I looked at our hands and almost shivered. I don't know if that was a good feeling. Kevin, basically dragging me to his car, raked his hair with his free hand. I stayed silent as we drove away from school. My mind wandering over Niall as we left him in the hallway, looking like a puppy. I never felt this bad, ever. I started observing my surroundings and noticed we weren't headed towards my home. 

"Kev-"

"You wanted ice cream." He huffed. A small smile appeared on my lips and I looked out again, my mood changing. Kevin was always one for details. He listened and obeyed. He was just so much better at doing that, probably why I always managed to pass school while dozing off. 

Arriving at the ice cream shop, I literally ran towards the entrance, already drooling at the flavors they displayed.

"The usual, Crissy." Kevin spoke towards Crissy, a worker made friend because we always went to their shop since we were kids. Crissy was a 40-year old woman, her parents started this business and she decided to continue it through-out the years. Her daughter was a classmate of mine back in middle school.

"No problem, Kev. Coming right up." she winked at the both of us before scooping away. We sat down at our usual booth and I looked at Kevin while he looked at the counter. I bit my lip and sighed, catching his attention. He smiled at me and leaned in on the table.

"Was he bothering you back there?" He asked. I laughed and shook my head. "No, he wasn't. He just wanted to borrow a book." I smiled. Crissy came over and gave us our usual flavors, mine Chocolate Chip and Cookie Dough while Kevin had Cotton Candy, which I hate by the way. We  both thanked her and grabbed a large scoop.

"So, what happened? He mentioned something that happened to you guys, before you decided to call me out." He pointed. I gave him a sheepish grin and ate more ice cream. I shrugged and propped my feet up the small booth.

"Nothing happened, I just thought he meant something when it was nothing." I smiled tightly, clenching my fingers around my plastic spoon. Kevin knowing about that embarrassing moment will totally not end well. I'd hear about it for months! I'm not ready for that. Suddenly, I squinted my eyes at him. He looked sulking, like something he didn't want happened. I pursed my lips. 

"If I was the one to judge, you sound jealous." I laughed. His cheeks flamed red. I almost choked on my ice cream. His cheeks only become that red when he's embarrassed. I laughed, slamming my hand on the table.

"You are!" 

He puffed his cheeks and covered his face. He looked so cute, I wanted to squish him. 

"Kevin, you'll always be my favorite bestfriend, don't worry about that." I shook my head. He suddenly sighed and looked down. Something in me clicked and I cleared my throat. That was probably not something I should've said. We both continued eating our ice creams, acting like we both don't have anything to confess to each other.

(AN: KEVIN MY BOY IM SO SORRY) Short chapter I know hehe