Chapter Five

Chapter Five

The flight is awful. I sit in an aisle seat with an old lady next to me. I have to will myself not to cry and break down on the plane. When the plane lands, I walk straight through the airport and outside. I don't have any luggage, just the clothes I'm wearing and the piece of paper with Grandpa's address tucked inside my pocket, along with the small stash of money. My grandpa said he would be waiting for me, so I go to the parking lot. I sniff the area and get a werewolf scent. A tall, well-dressed man that looks like an older and rougher version of my dad is standing next to a car. I almost break down when I see the similarities.

"Braelynn". He gives me a small smile. "No luggage?"

I shake my head.

"Thank you for letting me come here".

He opens the car door for me and I get in. When he gets in, he drives and I stay quiet.

"It's good to finally meet my granddaughter. Your dad would always come up with excuses". He lightly chuckles but I don't think he finds it funny. "You look just like your mum".

"I don't want to talk about my parents right now", I manage to get out, then turn towards the window.

"I would like to know what happened but I'll give you some time".

"Thank you", I murmur.

Grandpa drives through the city for a long time. We are in the car for hours. I realise he lives outside of the city. When he pulls into the driveway, I stare at the two-story picture-perfect house. We go inside and I see everything is neat. I get the feeling he would know if anything was ever out of place.

"How about you go up to your room while I make some dinner?"

"My room? You're letting me stay here?" I ask, surprised.

"Did my son make me out to be such a mean man? Yes, you're staying here. I wouldn't have you take a plane here for no reason".

"Thank you, Grandpa".

"One condition, though". He holds up a finger sternly.

"Yes?" I wait for the condition.

"My house, my rules. If you don't follow them...".

"I will", I interrupt, nodding my head.

"I'll show you to your room. Also, next time, do not interrupt me in the middle of a sentence", he warns me.

He seems strict but I'm fine with that considering he's giving me a place to stay.

"Okay, sorry".

Grandpa and I go upstairs. He climbs the stairs pretty fast so he mustn't be that old, in his sixties I'm guessing. There's a hallway with four different doors. He shows me the bathroom upstairs and tells me there's also one downstairs. Then he opens a door revealing a normal-sized furnished bedroom. This room is bigger than mine at the cottage. Bigger bed, bigger closet. I look around and then smile at Grandpa to show him I'm appreciative. He leaves the room to make dinner and I lie down on the bed, hoping to get some sleep.

I am so touched by Grandpa's generosity. Even though I haven't met him before, he's welcoming me into his home. I couldn't be more grateful. I'm curious about how his mate died but I'm not going to ask and upset him. Not until I get to know him at least. However, I would like to know what motivated him to move on after losing someone so important to him. I really need some motivation right now. I've lost three people.

He calls me down for dinner and I sit at the dining table across from him. I didn't get any sleep. My thoughts are too strong to relax enough to go to sleep.

"Dig in".

I grab a scoop of pasta and put it on my plate, digging into it as he suggested. It tastes saucy and great.

"This is delicious", I compliment him.

"Thank you, Braelynn, although some people find my food horrible". He chuckles.

"It tastes good to me". Well, maybe it's because I haven't eaten in a while.

"So tell me about yourself", Grandpa says as he puts a forkful of pasta in his mouth.

"Okay, well, I'm eighteen. I've been homeschooled all my life. I like reading and I'm very skilled in the rogue way of life". I list off the first things that come into my head. "What about you? Dad didn't talk about you much".

"I have my own I.T business and as you can see from my house, I'm quite wealthy. I like reading too. I have many books that you can read, but they're ancient and a young girl like you may not be interested in them".

"What's I.T?" I ask, and his eyes go wide.

"It's computers, fixing and programming them".

"Oh, I've never had a computer".

"I have a computer and a laptop here. You're welcome to use the laptop if you like".

"That's generous, but I don't think I need to use one. I can learn more from books than a laptop", I say.

"You're old fashioned". Grandpa smiles at me. "I'll show you how to use the laptop, once I do, you'll be addicted to it".

"Thank you for all this, you're very kind", I comment. "I didn't expect you to be like this".

"What did you expect?" His eyes shine with curiosity.

"Dad mentioned you're a grumpy man".

"That's because he never listened". Grandpa rolls his eyes, making me crack a smile. "That reminds me, I have rules".

"Okay".

"No staying out late, no boys, no parties here, no laziness and I hate when people interrupt me when I'm talking".

"I can do that". I smile.

"Then we'll get along great".

When dinner is finished, I help him with the dishes then I head up to bed after the long day I've had. I just need a good night's sleep.

***

Comment.
Vote.