Jessica exhaled sharply. "I didn't mean to offend you, Rory. Mike just..." she groaned, while paying for her food. "He's so clueless when I've been here the whole time and with Bella it was somewhat tolerable but now you—you're too freaking gorgeous for this town and I just—"

"Hey," Rory patted Jessica's shoulder, ending her self-deprecating spiel. "Looks aren't everything and men are trash," she said matter of factly. "If Mike doesn't see what a great girl you are, then frankly, he doesn't deserve your attention."

"Men are trash," Jessica repeated in stout agreement, lightening up tremendously in just a few seconds. "God, we might have just met Rory, but I'm really glad you came here. No one else would've set me straight like that."

"No problem," Rory shrugged and then pointed to a table where Eric was frantically waving them over while the entire table stared at her. "I presume that's the table."

"Yup!" Jessica was peppy once more. She pulled Rory to her side as they got to the table. "Guys, this is—"

"Rory Aden," the table of teenagers chorused.

Smiling widely, she sat down. "Word gets around quick," she laughed, glad she didn't need to correct her name preference herself.

The friendly looking group arranged themselves to include Jessica and her. Eric and Jessica then began an unspoken battle of who could introduce each person sitting at the table to Rory the fastest. Rory even posed surreptitiously for the school newspaper feature on her. She didn't mind; it was clear Forks didn't get much newsworthy material.

"And this is Bella," Jessica said quickly before Eric could, pointing to the pale and quiet brunette whose attention had mostly been at something behind her. "If you're wondering what Bella is doing, she's checking out Edward Cullen, as usual," Jessica stage whispered, causing the girl in question to turn a bright red.

Cullen? Rory casually followed Bella's gaze to a table in a quiet corner by the window. There were five of them and they were all perfect. Jasper Hale and Alice were counted amongst them to Rory's dread. She hadn't forgotten Alice's invitation nor of Jasper's apparent disdain for her. Before she could get a better look at the others, Rory's attention was drawn to Bella.

"I am not," Bella protested weakly. She gave Rory a small smile. "Sorry about that. Um, I think we might be neighbors."

"Really?" Angela, the camera welding girl with cool glasses next to Bella, asked. "That's some crazy coincident. Except you moved here because of your dad. He's the chief of police, Rory," she explained, curiosity bloomed in her eyes, "you moved here because...?"

A horrific tragedy and scarring events. Rory's lips curved lightly. "There was a need for a new surgeon at Forks Hospital and my mom and I needed a change."

Bella nodded. "Ch—my dad and I meant to stop by to welcome you both yesterday, but he got home pretty late what with all the animal attacks."

"Animal attacks?"

Everyone at the table grew solemn. Rory understood then. Even small towns had their tragedies.

Eric's usually light expression turned dark with heedy caution. "Don't go out in the woods alone, Rory. There's some dangerous things lurking about."

Rory let out a shaky laugh. "And to think I was planning on taking a hike today after school. I guess that beautiful forest surrounding my house won't get explored any time soon." She shrugged while everyone looked sort of relieved.

"So, where are you from?" Bella took it upon herself to ask, realizing no one else had. "You have a slight accent, it's interesting, but I can't quite place it."