Scarlett pondered his information for only a second. "Okay," she nodded. "I will." He proceeded to unlock the door, which wanted to sway open with the rock of the boat. Quickly Scarlett pulled it back towards her.

"Hold the door at the bottom so no one will see. Tightly, now. Will you be alright?"

"Yes," she replied. "I will be fine." He nodded and started to leave.

"Wait! What is your name?"

"James."

"Thank you, James," she said.

"You're welcome, Scarlett." He smiled then left without a single word more, leaving her to prepare her mind for that night.

She laid on her side, keeping her fingers wrapped around one of the bars in an inconspicuous place. As the ship would tilt, the door fought to open. Gradually, she felt her arm tiring and loosening its grip. As time went on, Scarlett felt it less urgent to keep the door closed at all times. So as she held on, she let it sway with the waves.

But she quickly realized her mistake. Footsteps could be heard coming towards the door, and that instant she was thankful for the heels on pirate boots. Scarlett lunged at the door, causing it to slightly slam against the metal cage, and held it firmly in place just seconds before the pirate entered.

Scarlett's frenzy only felt worse as she saw the pirate who entered. Yes, how could she not determine the tap of those boots. They only belong to one pirate.

"You look like you've seen a ghost!" the Captain said, as he sauntered toward her cell. She sat on her legs and stared at him towering over her. "I hope not. I don't want any ghosts residing on my ship."

"No, you just scared me. I was," she paused searching for a lie. Had he seen her lunging for the door? "sleeping."

"There isn't much else for you to do, I suppose," he replied.

"Why are you here?"

"We are arriving in port tonight, so you can expect no one to be on board. Except for yourself, of course." He threw his hands up. "Plus, can't I check on my prisoners whenever I feel like it?"

Her knuckles turned white as she strangled the cage bar. "Well you're a little too late! I've had no food for three days! You expect me to live like this?"

"Yes I do, after you tried escaping from me!" He turned and began to leave.

"If you want me to help you, you need to keep me alive," she shouted after him.

He turned around at the door and said, "I think you'll be just fine, princess." Then he shut the door behind him.

Scarlett breathed out her anger and relief, as she ripped a piece off of the remains of her bread.

----------

A few hours later, the moon shone brightly in the sky. It was dark in the prisoner room, except for the little moonlight shining in between the wood panels of the ship.

The ship had arrived in port, and Scarlett listened to the footsteps above as they anchored and tied the ship to the dock posts. She sat and anxiously awaited any shouting or screaming. It felt like the darkness was eating at her patience, and holding onto the door, she tapped her fingers nervously. If James took any longer, they would miss their chance!

Suddenly, she heard a crash followed by shouts and screams of pain. The very sound made Scarlett afraid and she cringed. What did he do to himself? Instantly there was a stampede of footsteps coming down the stairs and into the next room. James' plan was working!

Scarlett swung open the prison door and hesitated as she heard the Captain yelling at James for whatever he had caused. She wanted to rush to his aid, but instead ran the other way. She swung open the door, climbed up the stairs into the outside air, and began to run to the side of the ship.

Until she saw two pirates standing near the dock. They faced towards the town, and spoke quietly. Scarlett snuck around and came up behind them. Seeing a knife sheath on one pirate's belt, she slowly removed the knife. Swiftly, she stabbed the pirate in the leg, and he cried out, clasping his hands on his new wound. Still holding the knife, Scarlett stabbed the other pirate in the same place. He desperately tried to grab hold of her, but she thrust her elbow into his face. He fell to the ground, while she punched the other in his gut. With both pirates down, Scarlett dropped the knife and jumped onto the dock. Then she ran as fast as she could.

----------

Thank you for reading!

Please don't forget to vote and comment your thoughts! What could this all mean?

11/12/22: One minor edit made.