However, her sobbing quickly turned into crying, while she laid on the dirty wood floor and thought about how close she had been to freedom. Now, it seemed like she was stuck forever. The Captain's words sunk into her mind, and doubt began to sprout. Maybe she would never see her family and friends again.

Quickly, her crying turned into silence as she fell into a deep sleep.

----------

It was well into the afternoon three days later, and the sun was shining through the cracks of the ship. The stagnant heat wouldn't stop pestering Scarlett, who now had removed her wool dress and wore only her undergarments.

She felt she was to lose her mind. No one had entered since she was imprisoned there to give her food, water, or even fresh air. Her stomach ached, her throat was parched, and a film of sweat covered her body. She wished for it all to be over.

Though she physically suffered, it amounted little to the suffering of her impending fate. Her situation seemed to worsen, no matter what she did to find refuge. Maybe she was helpless, like the Captain had said. Scarlett always thought she could handle any situation she came upon, but this realization left her disgusted and afraid. Maybe she wouldn't make it out alive.

Scarlett laid on her side, while she let these thoughts pass through her mind. There was nothing or no one to save her. But a slight cool breeze swept through the room. Anxious at the sight of a person, she bolted up to see the intruder. It was the boy!

He closed the door quietly and approached Scarlett with caution. For the first time, Scarlett could examine his face. His hair was filthy underneath his beaten old hat, and his face was covered with a mixture of dirt and sweat. But underneath it all, she could see he was very young and had a face that was still innocent. Despite her circumstances, she felt pity for him and the environment he was forced to live in.

Scarlett's eyes focused next on the small loaf of bread and water cup he held in his hands. She was the first to speak. "For me?" Her voice was raspy and few words could be squeezed out.

"Yes, miss," he replied, and handed them through the cage bars.

"Thank you!" she uttered. She drank the water, relieved to moisten her desert-like throat. Then she bit into the bread and relished the sour taste.

When her stomach felt temporary relief, Scarlett's priorities switched to the boy. "Why are you helping me?" she asked. "You shouldn't be here. You could be punished if they find you here!"

The cabin boy looked directly into Scarlett's eyes. "Because I had to help you. I was just like you. These pirates took me captive and made me their slave. I have nowhere else to turn, and I don't want that to happen to you."

"I'm so sorry," she said.

"It's okay, I have known their ways for too long now to go elsewhere. I have learned how to deal with them."

"What happened to your parents? Why aren't they looking for you?"

"I don't have any parents. I was left on the streets when I was younger, or so I was told by the Captain. When I was taken by these pirates, no one even tried to rescue me. I was scared, but now I know I am one of them. I couldn't ever go back." A shadow of despair came over his face, as if it was the first time he had thought about his life, but quickly it changed to a look of urgency. He grabbed the cell bars with both hands. "Look - I'm going to help you escape. I heard about you trying already. You made it farther than any other captives have even tried! Our ship is arriving in port tonight, and I have a plan."

Scarlett sat up at those words, eager for him to continue. "Yes, what is it?"

He pulled a key out of his pocket, and continued in a whisper, "I stole the key to your cell from the Captain's cabin. I'm going to unlock the door, but make sure it doesn't swing open. We will have to take the chance that no one comes in and sees it unlocked. Then, after we have arrived, I will cause trouble in the other room. I'm not sure what yet, but I hope to bring the whole crew down there. You will hear it. I'll make sure to be as loud as I can. And that's when I want you to run for it. Go out that door," he pointed to his right, "and the stairs will lead you outside. I want you to run away as fast as you can, and as far as you can!"