Twenty-Two

I stare at the crumpled paper ball in my hands, my heartbeat losing its consistent pace. I take a deep breath of air before slowly opening the paper into its now wrinkled form. I read over the scrambled handwriting once again and start backing out of the driveway.

I park my car and stare out into the distance, remembering what had once been one of my favorite places, and is now one of the least. The thick inconsistent rows of green are slightly browned and aged, showing the time I've missed. I get out of my car and shut it with unmeaningful force, looking up at all the wilting trees. 

・・・

15 years old

"Come and find me you loser," Eleanor chuckled over the phone, making sure to whisper as Anthony stood outside the small 'forest' they happened to stumble upon during their meaningless walk to nowhere.

"Trust me, it's gonna be-" Anthony said, dropping the phone in the process. Eleanor immediately becomes worried, oblivious to what happened on Anthony's side.

"Andy?" She whispered, letting out a forced breath, "Andy you better not be playing with me," she sighed, checking to make sure she was still on the phone with him. A few seconds later she heard footsteps and a muffled voice, "Andy?" She asked once again, only hearing breathing on the other end. She looked around her to see nothing but the forest she'd been hiding in for about 10 minutes now, sitting behind a large rock. She let out a shaky breath before bringing the phone back to her ear, "Anthony this isn't-"

"Boo!" Anthony screamed from behind Eleanor as he sat on the large rock, a scream that's audible from around the world coming from Eleanor as she lost her breath. 

"Andy that's not funny!" She scolded him, crossing her arms as Anthony mocked her, a sly smile emerging from his lips. 

"Sweet spot by the way," Anthony spoke up, looking around at the spot, "this should be our hang out place," he suggested, which Eleanor just chuckled.

"Yeah, Andy... a rock," she continued, standing up and sitting on the rock with him. He then jumped off, a frown being placed on Eleanor's mouth.

"I'm being serious, this is gonna be our spot from now on,"  he declared as he grabbed the pocket knife from his pants.

"What the hell Andy," Eleanor gasped in shock, staring at him wide-eyed.

"I only brought it for protection don't worry," he shrugged her off, then clicked it open. Before Eleanor was able to speak up he went up to the nearest tree, beginning to carve into the bottom.

"What are you-"

"Ta-daaaa," Anthony said as he motioned towards the newly engraved tree. Eleanor got up from her spot and walked towards Anthony, seeing what he had written.

・・・

"Andy & Elle's Spot," I mumble to myself, running my hand over what was left of the engravement, seeing that it is much higher than before.

"Come... sit," Anthony speaks up, making me turn around as he pats the rock.

"How did you know when I'd come?" I ask sitting down, which he shrugged.

"I had a feeling," he gave a saddened smile, turning it into a solemn stare, "what happened?"

"Nothing."

"If it were nothing you wouldn't have shown up."

"He found out about the medicine" I sigh, not even trying to hide it. He gives a small chuckle which I just glare at him.