Chapter 15

Maya was running as fast as her feet could take her hoping that in doing so she would not have to face her mother Katy.

Katy, on the other hand, was running even faster attempting her hardest to bridge the distance between them all the while admonishing herself for not having seen what was plainly before her.

As a single mother, Katy had done her best to provide for Maya maybe even overcompensating for the absence of Maya's father.

 In the middle of her thoughts, she was caught off guard by the fact that Maya had tired herself out and was now sitting forlornly on a park bench contemplating how things had gotten to this point.

Her mind racing a mile a minute playing out varied scenarios in which all of them ended with her mother being disappointed or abandon g her as she far had once done.

As Katy sat beside her Maya resigned herself to her fate and awaited whatever derogatory remark had prepared to say.

Katy  looked into Maya's eyes and said,

“ Maya hart I'm disappointed in you” to which Maya could only avert her eyes and stare at the floor in fear of crying.

Katy then grabbed her daughter and pulled her into the tightest of hugs and said, “ don't you know i love you no matter what? Why didn't you tell me?”

To which Maya could not contain herself and just simply burst into tears in her mother's comforting embrace.

Maya and Katy sat there for what seemed like hours finally having the long overdue talk that had remained pending amongst them for years.

Yet at the end of that conversation, there was one thing that may as a mother made very clear to her as a warning. Katy told Maya that she could not spend the rest of her life shutting people out of her life due to living in the shadow of her father's abandonment.

Katy also reminded Maya that she would always be by her side to support her every step of her way through life but that she could not live her life for her and that at some point Maya would have to be honest with Riley about her feelings as opposed to running away to avoid being hurt.

As Riley and Katy began to make their way home Katy gave her daughter one last hug and smiled reassuring maya that no matter what the outcome her mother would be there for her no matter what.  

Maya smiled back because she realized that despite the rockiness of her now non-existent relationship with Riley she still had her mother to count on which was more than she'd ever hoped for