t h i r t y

The next day at school was almost as boring as every other day at school. Almost.

At lunch I was the first to sit down at the cafeteria table, so I took the time to read a political novel Michelle had recommended. It wasn't exactly my forte, but I thought I'd at least give it a try.

My eyes left the page for a brief moment as I glanced to see Flash and his mouth-breathing friends trudge over to a girl eating her lunch. Apparently she was sitting where they'd like to sit, despite there being so many vacant tables around. Pathetic.

To my surprise, she stood her ground and patiently stayed seated. Until Flash began playing with her hair, teasing her about the being pink streak in her fringe. With that, her expression fell a little and she got up to leave.

He literally made my blood boil. But I didn't feel like getting called to the principles office for beating him up, so I looked back down at the book in my hands, biting my lip down hard in frustration. The whites of my knuckles showing as I gripped the pages with force.

Then, I saw a bright burst of light. Like a couple hundred flashlights exploded before my eyes. When it disappeared, I blinked a couple of times as they refocused and began to make sense of the words on the page again.

No one else around seemed to be phased - of freaking course not. Just me as per usual.

It wasn't over. The spine of the book collided with the table as my hands shot up to grip the roots of my hair. Another piercing headache shot through my head, just like the one the other night. It took everything I had to withhold a scream, but thankfully it passed by much faster than the last time.

Nevertheless, I don't think it was a good sign.

Gathering up my things, I sped to the nearest stairwell which I knew would be eerily quiet during lunch time.

Tucking my hair behind my ear, I listened to the ringing tune of my phone after I dialled the institutes number, impatiently tapping my foot against the floor.

"Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters." An automated voice sounded through. "How may we assist you?"

"I need to speak to the professor. It's an emergency." I said clearly, hoping the machine would understand me.

After a moments pause, the robotic woman spoke once again. "Connecting to Professor Charles Xavier."

"Hello?" His voice was somewhat reassuring in this panicked situation.

"Professor, it's Violet. I need your help." My voice was cracking, mainly out of fear that I could have another 'episode' and black out any second. It's like I no longer had control over my body and that scared the schnitzel out of me.

"Violet, dear what's wrong?" He perked up with concern.

"The other night, I kind of blacked out, but I didn't tell you because I thought it was nothing. But just now it almost happened again."

"Are you alright?"

"Yeah, just a little freaked out is all." The hand that was holding the phone to my ear began to shake a little. I never thought I would ever fear myself.

"Is it just blackouts?" He pressed.

"Well, no not exactly. Weird things are happening, to my hands and eyes." I pictured the glowing blue colour emitting from my fingertips, fear bubbling up inside me. "I don't understand."

"Violet, listen to me. You may not like it but it is imperative that you return to the Institute under our supervision." His voice immediately turned dark and serious.

Deep down I was expecting this. I thought I'd have a chance at this school, that I'd learnt to control my powers. But it looked like they still controlled me.

He continued after my silence, "You don't know the danger you could be putting yourself in, or those around you."

"No, I...I understand." The fear and shaking had come to a halt. Right then, I was just a girl in a stairwell having her dreams crushed of being a 'normal' student.

"I'll see you tomorrow. Be safe until then." He added before we exchanged goodbyes.

I stood for a few minutes once I had ended the call.

Tomorrow. It suddenly hit me that I'd have to leave immediately. For some reason I didn't expect it to be so soon. I knew it was the right thing to do; it was unfair of me to put everyone else in danger. This meant I had one night left in the city.

The bell sounded, indicating the end of lunch. So before a flood of students came piling through, I rapidly typed a message on my phone.

Because through all this panic and confusion, just one person dominated my thoughts.

To Peter:
Hang out tonight? <3

I felt crushed as I pressed the send button, knowing that it would probably be the last time I would type those words to him.