f i f t e e n

Peter and I sat cross legged on my bed, delving into the ice cream tub between us, a soft backdrop of music playing lightly. With Peter's help, my project was finally done and so after the hard work we thought it was time to treat ourselves.

We first got into general chit chat, and then he began talking about how much he missed Ben. I consoled him the best I could. However, it was difficult to not be able to fill him on anything that I was going through.

So much had happened to me in the past few years but I couldn't tell him any of them because they all took place at the X mansion and invoked tales of dangerous missions and such.

Eventually I would have to tell him the truth, but that time was yet to come. Peter moved to lie on his side, leaning his head in his hand. No matter what, he always managed to look good, but I ceased my staring once I felt his eyes on me.

I smiled at how our spoons occasionally tapped each other's in the tub, as we fought to get the biggest scoop out.

Then he touched his spoon on the tip of my nose, leaving a smudge behind. His lips stretched a smile as I laughed, wiping it off and licking it from my hand.

"This reminds me of what Jean and Scott used to do." I guess I felt so comfortable around Peter now that I could just let any words slip out, but it was an idiot move.

"Who're Jean and Scott." He quirked an eyebrow, licking the back side of his spoon.

"Scott's my cousin." This was the truth of course. Somehow, me Scott and Alex Summers possessed similar mutations, through blood relation I guess.

I just hoped Peter wouldn't venture too much into my anecdote. I didn't know how long I could keep my mouth shut.

"I don't think you've ever mentioned-" Peter stopped his sentence and shot up right looking out the window. I looked back and forth and couldn't understand what he was looking at.

"Er- I just remembered, May said she needed me to uh...help her with something, I completely forgot."

For some reason, my blood began to boil as he leapt of the bed and moved towards the door. He was doing it again. Lying about something.

I was about to say something to him, when he turned back as if he had left something behind. Then he placed his large hands on my cheeks and gave me a deep kiss, his lips moving firmly against mine.

I was a little surprised, but couldn't help kiss back. It was filled with urgency and longing, good enough to leave me absolutely speachless as he pulled away.

"I'm, so sorry, I'll be back as soon as I can." He held my face still, his warmth breath bounced off my lips before he gave a pitiful smile and rushed out of the room.

I sat with his touch still tingling on my lips, not sure whether I felt furious, dream-like, or an odd mixture of both. However, sooner or later I would find out what was going on with him.

~

I spent the rest of the evening looking through photos I took back at the institute. I sure did have a lot of fun at that place. I smiled at the picture of me and Bobby. I miss how he used to make me little ice roses and how he would cool my drinks down.

I started to wonder whether I was better off staying there. Maybe I was meant to be with people like myself. It was a hell of a lot easier.

My phone bleeped every few mintues with a text from Peter. I didn't even bother reading what they said, but I could have guesed that they were a apologies, or him asking if we could hang it again. To be honest, I wasn't all that mad at him anymore. He didn't have to spend every minute of evrryday with me. And if he had places to be, who was I to stop him. I just really wasn't in the mood.

I was more concerned with my decision to come back home. Maybe it wasn't the best idea.

My deep thoughts were interrupted by a small clank on my window. Pulling the curtains open, it revelaed a small note stuck to a large web. Immediately, I knew the sender.

I opened the window and peeled the note off the sticky substance. It was scrawled in messy handwriting and said one word; 'roof.'

I had to refrain from rolling my eyes. I really didn't want to see anybody right now. But then again, I could use a little distraction to get my mind off things, and I needed a stretch after sitting in this chair for numerous hours.

Pulling on a large sweater over my pjamas, I headed for the door.

"Where are you going?" My mom asked as she prepared dinner for tomorrow night.

"Im just going for a bit of fresh air, on the roof." I rubbed my eyes, feeling slightly drowsy from doing alsmot nothing all evening.

"Okay," She gave a reluctant look, "but be careful up there, and not too late."

"Got it." I said, already half way through the door.

I grudgnily made my way thorugh the hall and up the flights of stairs. Suddenly my mood had plummeted. As I stepped out of the hatch onto the roof of the building, there was no one to be seen. I was starting to think he had bailed on me. That's when the muffled voice echoed behind me.

"You came!" his eyes were wide as he shot up as if he'd been waiting a while.

"Yeah well, I'm having one of those days." I shoved my hands into the sweater pockets, as there was a slight chilliness in the air tonight.    

"Care to explain?" He asked. I opened my mouth to object. I didn't really want to discuss my deep personal problems with this stranger.

However, before I could finish the sentence, the man in the blue and red skin tight suit swivelled on the rooftop edge so that his feet dangled from the edge.

"Come tell ol' Spidey." He patted the cement ledge beside him.

Reluctantly, I walked to the edge of the builing. I swear my mom would ground me for months if she found out. A red gloved hand reached out to help me get up on the ledge. My heart pounded as I looked down at the magnificent drop below.

Once I was seated comfortably, I realised just how hard I was holding onto his hand and sheepishly relseased it from his. No matter how freightening the moment seemed, there was something freeing about sitting in a highly dangerous place next to a masked vigilante.

"You're crazy, red." I shook my head and smiled out to the beautiful city skyline. This was going to be a long night.