t h r e e

A couple of days passed, sadly filled with homework and catch-up assignments, which I should have saw coming, seeing as I decided to return in the middle of the semester. After getting my classes sorted and settling back in at home, I was beginning to feel a little like my old self again. Of course I had changed massively, but I liked feeling like a normal girl once again.

To keep myself busy, I decided to check if any of my old clubs and AP classes would allow me to return. So that morning at school, I made my way to the school newspaper office, hoping that they would re-elect me to the entertainment column. As I should have expected, the position was filled, but desperate to have something of such academic quality on my college application, I practically begged the president of the committee.

"There has to be something else I can do." My voice pleaded.  "Advice column? Fashion section?" I rambled on, at this point willing to write anything for the school paper. Anything to keep me busy and distracted from the life I was trying to hide away.

"Well..." the older boy pondered for a second, "Andy just pulled out from the sports column? I know sports probably isn't your thing-"

"No," I stopped him, wanting to take his offer before he could take it back. "I'll do it. I can get into sports." I gave a small shrug, knowing that it couldn't be that difficult.

"Awesome." The boy grinned, "You'll need to write an article a week, and meet up with the paper photographer before sending final copies to the editing team."

"I guess that's reasonable." I inwardly sighed, knowing that I would most likely be drowning in work for the next year. "Photographer for sports... that's Luke, right?" I asked.

He shook his head. "Parker takes all of our photos now."

"Parker? Peter Parker?" At his responsive nod, I had to refrain from groaning. It was just my luck.

~

The next few days seemed to fly by. Keeping my head down in classes and catching up with all the missed work, I felt myself getting so immersed into various distractions, which was exactly what I needed.  The other day, I had painfully sat through the entire school football game. I had a quick read up on the rules, but aside from that, I pretty much had no idea what was going on. Nevertheless, I wrote an exceptional article, even if I do say so myself. All that was needed now were the photos, and then that was one week's article done.

As I leant against my locker, I pulled out my phone, scrolling through my contacts list. Parker. I was surprised to find that I still had his number after all these years, but then again there was no need to have removed it. My thumbs pressed against the screen as I typed to Peter.

Violet: Hey, I heard you were the photographer for the school paper? I need to look through the photos you took on Wednesday's game. :)

Within a few seconds, my phone bleeped and buzzed.

Peter: Yeah sure, come over after school, my place? :)

Violet: Perfect.

Why did I have a weird feeling in my stomach?
I had been to Peter's plenty of times before, but it had been years.

A lot had changed... for the both of us.

~

After school, I returned to an empty apartment, indicating that mom was still at work. Dropping my bag on the bed, I picked up my flash drive from the desk and headed down the hall to the Parker's.

Pressing a small knock onto the door, I waited with a slightly racing heart rate, but it almost came to a halt, as the door swung open to reveal May.

"Violet! How have you been sweetie?" Before I could get a word in, May had engulfed me into a large hug, and instinctively, I hugged her back, smiling at the familiar warmth.

"Good." I nodded with a smile, pulling away from her. "It's nice to be back though."

"Well it's lovely to have you back." May's gleaming eyes sparkled with happiness. "You look as beautiful as always."

"As do you, May." I spoke truthfully. Aunt May looked exceptionally gorgeous for her age.

Opening the door further and gesturing me into the small apartment, May turned towards me once more.

"Peter said something about the school newspaper?"

"Uh, yeah. I just need a few photos from him." I held up my flash drive.

"Go ahead, he's in his room." May spoke with her trademark, warm smile, heading back into the kitchen where she appeared to be cooking something that smelt delightful.

Knowing exactly where it was, I proceeded to the bedroom, offering a small knock onto Peter's door.