**Seventy Seven**

Start from the beginning

“Noorie” Khala jumped up from the chair. “This is Arzoo. Nani must have told you who she is right?”

“Of course, a nightmare” I scorned. “What marriage is Nani talking about?”

“Her marriage to Amir” Ayat mami chipped in. I balled my fist.

“Sorry, you all must be mistaken. Amir is married to me”

“But that does not stop him from marrying me right?” Arzoo said. I sent my blazing glare to her.

“Dream on girl. You are not marrying him”

“What gives you the assurance?” she stood up with a challenging look. What an attitude? I chose to ignore her for a while. This girl has guts. God! I will snap her neck. Something kept pulling me to do so. Noor, just twist her neck! A voice kept screaming in my head.

“Can you make this thing clear Nani?”

The men were not home. They had all left for work. Zoya bhabi walked in with her baby in hand. Sahibah bhabi came in next with the kids behind them screaming and shouting. The noise halted.

“Arzoo?” Zoya bhabi called. She knows her too. So Arzoo was no stranger. “What are you doing here? It’s been long since I saw you”

“Nani” Arzoo turned to Nani. “You did not tell everyone about my arrival?”

“Sorry dear. I wanted you to arrive” At that moment, Nani seemed like someone she had wrapped around her finger.

“Before you drop a bomb on my head!” I snapped. “Before you tell me you are planning a second marriage for my husband!” I took a step closer to Nani. There was a long gasp from Zoya bhabi and Sahibah bhabi. “Have you all gone nuts!”

“Respect Noorie” Ayat mami snapped.

“You stay out of this!” I barked pointing a finger at her. “You are all hypocrites” I glared at the three of them. “You expect me to respect you after stabbing me in my back. What nonsense? Why?”

“Nine months Noor” Khala barked taking a step closer. “Nine months! You can’t even give us good news”

“What news?”

“That….”

“Assalamu alaikum” Amir’s voice cut Khala’s words.

“Walaikum salam” Nani answered while my mouth was too tight to reply.

“You are back?” I asked. “You are supposed to come back two days from today”

“I cut my journey short” his eyes scanned the room. “Arzoo?” he called surprised.

“Amir?” Arzoo smiled, blush rising to her cheek. I felt the pang of jealousy heightening the anger in me.

“If you don't stop blushing Arzoo, I swear you will lack a face to do that!" I roared. "So you know her too?” I whirled my furious face to Amir.

“She is my second or third cousin” he looked at me then shifted his gaze to Arzoo. Oh Amir, are you hiding something from me? “Why are you here today?” he asked Arzoo.

“You know Amir. Your nikkah to her is three days from today” Khala replied.

“You did not tell me it was this early” Those words cut me. He knew. He knew about this too? Ya Allah! I gripped my head, ran my hand through my face as the feeling of betrayal began to set in.

“You know about this?” I was meant to sound shaken but I knew I dare not. Not in front of my foes. My voice was stronger than ever.

“Noor I…..” he began to speak but I laughed out.

“And you think I will make you marry her?” my head grew hot. I clenched my dress. I had to urge to do something which was just strangle someone’s neck.

“You are in no position to tell him that” Arzoo said.

“Abeg, shut your mouth" I raised a hand to shut her up. "All of you dey craze!” I resorted to pidgin (broken) English. I paced the large living room trying to gather my thoughts. “Wetin I do? Why you dey do this kind thing to me na? How could you do this to me? What wrong did I ever do?” I stopped to look at all of them. Zoya bhabi and Sahibah bhabi’s eyes held worry as they looked at me. I fidgeted with my fingers.

“You could not conceive Noor. We expected news from you but it just became longer” Khala said.

“And you thought marrying someone else to him will give you all the grand child you want and it is none of your business khala. Poke nosing into my matter will do you and Ayat mami no good. It will bring you six feet below the grand. And are you Amir who did not complain? You are not even his mother. Nani also does not have the right just because she is his grandmother. You are driving me mad right now” I exhaled rubbing my aching temples.

“No one told me she could be this rude” Arzoo gave me a disdainful look.

“Just utter another word!” I marched forward “And I will rip out your throat!” she flinched then recoiled behind Nani.

“Noorie, manners please. Mind your words” Amir begged. I glowered at him. Tension filled the air. The children watched with scared eyes and confused looks at what was happening.

“Where do you expect me to find my manners when you all make me this way? It was meant to be a surprise Amir. I am pregnant! I wanted to tell you before we break the new to everyone!” I snarled. “And this is what I get before I could tell you. You knew and you agreed to this, to breaking my heart and make me look like a barren!” Everyone’s eyes had widened including Arzoo’s eyes.

“What did you say?” Amir asked, his voice low.

“You heard me!”

I jerked up from the bed with a long intake of breath. My breathing rushed in and out faster that I could almost not feel it. My head was hot and pounding from the dream I just had. My skin was hot. I needed air to breathe in. I removed the sheets around me and threw then aside. My movement was fast as long as I could feel better. I took in air and exhaled as fast as I could. There was a strong pounding in my head. I held my head in my palms and regulated my strenuous breathing. My eyes went around the room, everything was familiar. My body trembled with more sweat breaking free from my pores.

I was not meant to have that dream. I had not slept thinking about it. I went to bed thinking about how to get better. I was still having a migraine but my body temperature had reduced. The cool air of the room caressed my damp skin making me feel better. This can’t happen right? They won't do that to me right? God! I jumped down from the bed with a strength I never knew I would have since I was still having fever. Noticing the glass of water on the nightstand, I realised I was thirsty. I emptied the glass down my throat. I needed to go to the living room. I just hope that won't happen for real. Dropping my gaze at the clothes I had one, I knew I had to bath. I took a glance at myself in the mirror. I looked awful. The bathroom became a place I could rush to. I had my bath, wore some clothes and went down.

As I skidded down the staircase, I heard voices in the foyer. They were hushed that I could hardly make out the words then the sound of footsteps coming closer. There was a faint jingle of bangles and the sound of a suite rolling. Two forms appeared after I got down. My eyes went wide. This could not happen. I screamed in my head as I stared at one of the forms. She could not be here. Not here at all. She had her pretty smile on, her eyes on me. She was just the way she looked with the same butler next to her and pretty in her salwar kameez. Her hair not an exception either. It was the same black hidden under a transparent dupatta. My breathing stopped. The air in my lungs were trapped as I was too frozen with shock to say a word.

“Ar….Arz….Arzoo” her name rolled out of my shaking lips.

Just two chapters to the end of this book. Please vote, comment and share.