Chapter 17: The old crew Pt. 2

Lucky for me, Paul contented himself with dropping me home and watching me from the car that I got inside safely. He said we'd talk tomorrow when we had more privacy. I really didn't feel like being home alone, so I phoned Valerie and told her I'd spend the night with her. She said it was cool, as long as he didn't stay up too late. I rolled my eyes thinking that was probably a good idea anyways, so I grabbed a couple things and was willing to go without bothering to say goodbye to anyone.

"Jessie. Where are you going?" my mom's curious voice rang behind me when I had one hand on the knob of the door. I thought I heard her wrong, so I turned around to face her with my shocked expression of being noticed.

"Valerie's" I said making it clear with my tone it was none of her business.

"Paul told us you were grounded until tomorrow" she said plain and simple as someone who simply follows orders.

"Ugh, you're fucking kidding me" I growled as I slammed the front door behind me. Then I got a second thought, and I said to myself 'whatever'.

"He told us to call him if you tried to leave" my mom added next as her phone dangled from her right hand. There was no threat, no feelings involved in that sentence. God knows why, she was just doing as she was told.

"Fine! Bunch of worryasses on my back 24/7!" I shouted at her before climbing up the stairs and locking myself in my bathroom. Good thing I could still yell at my parents and get away with it. At least Paul couldn't reach me in here right now.

The next day, class went by awfully slow. Like everytime I get in trouble. I'd drum my fingertips on the desk continuously until getting yelled at by either a teacher for disturbing the class or one of my friends for annoying them. I saw myself forced to be open with my friends about what had happened, how they had made me steal something, how they ran away and left me behind when I was caught, and especially how Paul had arrived to the precinct to take me out.

"I guess they weren't heroes after all" I heard my boyfriend grumbling behind me like everytime he's having jealousy issues.

"Jason, you're an asshole" Valerie declared and turned around her back on him. If he was in the mood, none of us wanted to talk to him. Ok I did, but I'd have to fight it. I had bigger concerns than that.

Flashbacks of the time I was put in jail with Jason ran through my mind as I waited for Paul like everytime I get in trouble. Why? Simple. I wouldn't dare to be late for his class on top of the fact I am already on his good side. Granted, it had never made him go easier on me, but at least it made him skip one lecture for the day. With all that had happened yesterday I had more than enough.

"Hello Jessie" Paul greeted me harshly as I mumbled a quiet hello from my spot. I watched him place his papers and stuff on the desk and getting it organized before his look met mine, giving me the chills. "What is the matter with you?" he asked out of the blue as my eyes widened at the question.

"Uh... what?" I said sincerely confused. Normally I fake being confused so I can save some time to think how to get out of trouble, but what he asked me really caught me low guarded.

"You know what I asked" he said and I could already feel the anger his words beamed. He was on fire. "You sneak out on a school night, to meet the friends I told you you could not hang out with, and then you proceed to steal something from a store. You, who have absolutely no need to do that. So I ask you: what is the matter with you?".

To be fair, I had asked them same question when I decided to steal for my friends. Of course I had an answer, but he was not going to like it. Anyways, nothing could be worse than to keep him waiting.