Chapter 20: Finally Home

Thank you for reading and enjoy the chapter (:

Jason's Pov:
I walked into the building that I hoped I would never see again. Part of me was apprehensive at the thought of leaving. This was the place that I considered home. I thought of Jeremy and I felt sick at the thought of leaving him here, vulnerable.

I walked up the stairs, there wasn't a soul in sight in the lobby.  I walked through the door of my apartment, I was expecting an empty space but Mark and Jeremy were sitting on their mattresses.

"He returns." Mark commented without taking his eyes away from his comic book. "How are you doing?"

I shrugged. "I'm alright. The best I can be now that my life has been turned upside down."

I looked over and Jeremy smiled at me, I gestured for him to come over towards me. He sat on my mattress and I sat next to him. Mark looked at me curiously, he set his book down and sat up to look at me.

"What's up?" Mark put his hands on his knees and gave me his full attention. I almost felt guilty for leaving, Mark and Jeremy were the only people in this apartment that I cared about, I wanted to keep them in my life. 

I cleared my throat and looked at both of them. "I'm moving out." They didn't need bullshit reasons as to why I leaving right off the bat, I wanted to just get it out there and gauge their reactions. 

Mark just looked a bit shocked, but pleased none the less. "I'm glad you have made the decision to get out of this place, kid. Don't get me wrong, I'm going to miss you, but this is what is best for you. Why exactly have you made the decision to leave anyway?"

"After my mother's funeral, my father basically dropped my little brother in my lap, really no explanation. Just gave him to me and told me to take care of him. Don't take this the wrong way, but I cant have him stay here. Not by himself and I don't trust anybody but you guys to take care of him. I don't want to ask you to do that."

"So, where are you going to be staying?" I looked over at Jeremy and frankly, he looked close to tears. I didn't want to leave him here without any protection, but I couldn't just throw my little brother to the wolves. I had to do what was best for my family.

"My boyfriend, Ace has offered to let us stay with him. I promise, I will come and visit you and you can call me whenever you need me." He knew that meant, if they give you any trouble you know who to call. I could not ignore the way my heart stammered when I referred to Ace as my boyfriend. 

Jeremy sucked in a breath, underneath all of the sadness he must have been feeling, he looked happy for me as well. "Well, you better keep in touch. I'm happy for you though."

"I hate to rain on your parade, but the others aren't going to be too happy when they find out that they aren't going to be able to count on your rent anymore. We are barely scraping by with you, they won't be throwing you a farewell party, that's for sure." Mark said.

I knew it was true, I nodded. "That is why I will be gone by the time they get home." I wandered over to my nightstand that I took from a dumpster and grabbed the only three books that I owned and placed them inside my backpack. I stuffed the few outfits that I possessed inside along with my toothbrush and comb. I wasn't kidding when I said I could fit everything that I owned into a backpack. I zipped it up and threw it over my shoulder, I spotted my pay check on the nightstand. I picked it up and immediately handed it over to Jeremy, he looked up at me as if I were crazy. "Consider this my apology for me moving out."

"But you have to take care of your brother! I promise we will be fine." He tried to give it back to me, but I wasn't having it.

"Next month will be my month to pay, I don't want to leave you guys without a back up plan. Take this so that if there is no alternative, you have money to pay the rent. I don't want to be the reason that you guys get kicked out." I pushed the check further into his hands and they both looked at me with gratitude.