Chapter Thirty Four

"Shoot, where is my necklace?" Lacey looked around her bedside table frantically. The necklace was the same one that Slade had accidentally broken the chain on a couple weeks ago. A few days after he accidentally broke it, Slade had bought Lacey a new chain for it until the old one could be fixed. Granted, the new chain didn't look as good, nor feel as good around Lacey's neck as the old one did, but nonetheless, Lacey was happy to have her grandma's necklace around her neck every day. 

         "I always keep it right here." Lacey widened her search to the floor, thinking maybe it fell down there. The more she thought about it, she couldn't remember wearing it yesterday, either. For the first time in about 6 months, Lacey had stopped wearing the necklace every day; it was honestly probably just because she didn't like how the new chain felt. 

        Grabbing her phone from her beside table, Lacey called her fiance. "Hey, darlin'." Slade greeted with a smile, picking up on the third ring. 

          "Hey, have you seen my cross necklace that my grandma gave me? I haven't seen it since yesterday morning." 

          Slade hesitated, most likely thinking about it's whereabouts. "I know I saw it there yesterday morning. But don't fret, I am sure it will turn up soon." 

          "You're right. I think I'm going to go hop on Bud for a few minutes. Work on bareback riding." Lacey decided, knowing worrying about her missing necklace wouldn't do her any good.  

         "Alright, sweetheart. I am almost finished with my laundry, then I will be down there. Please be safe."

         "Always. See you in a bit." Lacey hung up her phone, making her way downstairs. On her way out to the barn, Lacey grabbed a nice red apple off of the kitchen island to share with Bud. 

        Once she was outside, Lacey could see that Bud was already in the round pen, ready for her to ride him. With a smile when Bud nickered the closer she got, Lacey promised him she would be right back to see him after she grabbed his bridle. 

        Clucking to her new best friend, Bud, Lacey asked the roan gelding to back up so her and her wheelchair could both fit through the gate. The second she was into the round pen, Bud nickered, smelling Lacey's lap since he knew she brought him an apple. 

         Slade had taught Bud so well; without Lacey even asking, Bud followed her over to the mounting block where he waited patiently for her. Leaning down carefully in her wheelchair, she slipped the bridle on over his face, sliding the metal bit between his parted teeth, on top of his tongue. Once she was satisfied that Bud wasn't going to move any, Lacey turned her wheelchair, locking it's brakes before carefully taking her feet off the pads. 

        Ever so carefully, Lacey adjusted herself beside Bud. Placing both hands on his back, she pushed herself onto his back, laying across his swayback. Reaching behind her, she grabbed her right pant leg, sliding her leg across Bud's rump so it rested against his side. carefully sitting up, Lacey grinned at the fact that this was the first time she had ever mounted a horse entirely by herself; bareback, nonetheless! 

      "Good boy, Bud." Lacey patted his neck, praising him. "Thank you for staying so still and waiting for me." Picking up the reins, Lacey allowed Bud to have his head, guiding him away from the mounting block. "Let's take it nice and slow today, B." 

      Nerves began to rise in Lacey's stomach the further away from the safety of her chair and mounting block they got. Taking a deep breath, she convinced herself that she got this. It wasn't the first time that she had ridden bareback, but it was the first time that she had ever ridden by herself since her accident.