Chapter Twenty Two

"You sure you're ready for this?" Slade asked, a hand on Lacey's back as she stared at Bud, who's back was eye level to her since she was on top of the mounting block with Slade. 

          "If you keep askin' me, I am goin' to say no. Now, can you please just help me up?" Lacey replied, still staring at Bud who was standing patiently beside the mounting block. 

           "Alright. Here we go." Slade tried to contain his smile, but he couldn't help it. He had been planning and praying about this day for months, so it was hard to hold back his excitement for Lacey at the moment. 

           Slade carefully wrapped his arms around Lacey, lifting her effortlessly from her wheelchair. Carefully, he hoisted her up onto Bud's back, helping her push her leg over the side so she was straddling the broad horse. Once she was safely in the saddle on Bud's back, Slade, who kept one hand around Lacey, hopped up behind her.

           "How do you feel so far?" Slade asked, carefully leaning down to slip each of Lacey's feet into their stirrups. Keeping one hand securely around Lacey's waist, Slade grabbed both of Bud's reins in his other hand, preventing him from walking forward. 

           "I feel nervous, but okay." Lacey let out an airy chuckle, instinctively leaning forward, holding tightly to the saddle horn like it was the only thing keeping her in the saddle. 

           "Lean back, Lace, I got you. It's okay." Slade comforted, rubbing his hand over Lacey's waist.

          "Are you sure?" She asked, partially disappointed in herself for not having as much upper body strength as she thought she did. By now she should have been able to hold herself up. 

          "I'm positive. Lean back against me, Lace." Slade comforted, helping Lacey sit up enough to lean herself against him. He realized that this was the first time that he had ever been able to hold her like this. Sure, they had snuggled on the couch, but this was the first time that he had been able to have her fully in his arms, and he loved the feeling of it. Taking in a deep breath, he thought about how unique of a couple him and Lacey were, and how there were small things like holding hands as they were taking a walk that they would never be able to do like a normal couple would. Despite knowing that there were certain things they wouldn't be able to do, Slade still wanted nothing more than to be with Lacey. He knew that there would always be ways around things and that with God, all things are possible. If someone had asked Slade if he thought he would be able to convince Lacey to ride again, he would have chuckled and said no; today was just proof that God already has a plan set out, and He will always be there to direct. 

        "You ready to start walkin'?" Slade asked, softly kissing the top of Lacey's head that was against his chest. He could feel her shaking with nerves, but her body relaxed some when he buried his face in her hair.

         "As ready as I will ever be." Lacey replied, keeping her eyes fixed forward. She felt Slade's arm tighten around her waist before he lifted his hand, telling Bud to walk forward. Lacey's body tensed up again at the sudden slight jerk forward of Bud walking, and her mind instantly began to play back to her accident, but Slade's comforting words he whispered in her ear told her it was going to be okay. It was like he knew what she was thinking without her having to say a single word. 

          Slade let out a chuckle once they made a full lap around the round pen. Just to be sure Lacey was alright, Slade pulled back on the reins to stop Bud. "Still doin' alright? I don't want to push you." He asked kindly, not wanting their ride to be over already. 

          "Um, can we go around a couple more times, please?" Lacey ignored his question, glancing at Slade over her shoulder, seeing his eyes glow like they never had before. It was as if, by Lacey asking if they could keep riding, Slade had won the lottery; he looked happier and more proud than she had ever seen.