Black Souls and Bad Intentions

Pandora walks into an otherwise empty sociology class. Hermes is there writing on the chalkboard.

"I think I really screwed up." declares Pandora without Hermes even notice.

Hermes turns to Pandora at her words, setting down his chalk, "You opened The Box didn't you?"

"I... How did you know?" asks a somewhat surprised Pandora.

"It was obvious after a student tried to throw something at me in the hallway for trying to get their attention. Things have just gotten worse from there. Half the afternoon class didn't bother to show up and the ones that did couldn't help challenging me on every minor thing. More than any reasonable person should. The class just degenerated from there." explains Hermes.

"I was at a party, I wasn't really paying... attention and... it just, you know, happened. But it's worse than that." Pandora tries to get out but can't really explain it properly.

"Who was possessed? Or should I say manifesting the spirit they were possessed by?" asks Hermes with obvious interest.

Pandora shifts uncomfortably, "My friend... her name is Jemma."

Hermes notices the uncertainty, "You care about her."

"Like I said, she's... my friend." says Pandora, which makes Hermes grin although he quickly hides it.

"What happened?"

"She got a hold of The Box, and it..." Pandora starts but is interrupted by Hermes.

"You had a transference."

"That's what my mom called it. She says I let my guard down, and now she's talking about 'drastic measures' against Jemma." explains a concerned Pandora.

"And you don't want that."

"Of course I don't want that." insists Pandora, "She didn't exactly say what 'drastic measures' means but it can't be good."

"It's not," confirms Hermes, "it usually involves killing the host."

"What?" asks a suddenly more worried Pandora, "Isn't there something else? Like an exorcism or something?"

"That's what The Box is for, to exorcise people of these spirits. If you can't do it..."

"But... I can do it. I just need a little more time."

"You may not have time." says Hermes before adding, "Unless..."

"Unless what?" asks an insistent Pandora, hopeful of another way.

"Do you have it?"

Pandora takes her back pack off her shoulder, "I have it right here, do you want to see it?"

"Yes."

She opens up her bag and pulls out The Box, handing it to Hermes. None of the safeguards are activated when it's placed in Hermes hands, which makes him smile. As he takes it more firmly, it begins the glow a black light. Pandora notices the glow.

"Wait, what's that?" a confused Pandora asks.

"Victory." Hermes says with a smile.

Hermes grips The Box tightly with both hands, putting intense focus on it and performing some kind of magic on it. The black light gets brighter in the same way that it got brighter when Uni used it on Pandora. Unlike when her mother did it though, Hermes doesn't attempt to move in on the clearly stunned Pandora. It isn't long before The Box stops glowing and the smile on Hermes face gets bigger.