Getting a ride

School ends and I luckily am getting a ride from my mom.

I think to myself, how much I don't want to go back to my house. You know that your life sucks once you realize that school is better than home.

My mind keeps tracing back to what sally said about devil and his friends.

Why did she tell me to stay away?
What's wrong with him? I don't get it.

We go home and I enter my clean and neat room. I lay down on my bed and not five minutes later I see Calvin burst through the door and glare at me.

"Why don't you ever do anything?"
He yells.

"What so you mean?" I ask.
"Your always in hear, go outside and leave me and your mother alone. Why don't you ever go on dates you geometric creep?!"

Not understanding the cause of this argument I just nod and he slams the door.

There is just one thing he doesn't know.
I would go out on dates but they wouldn't understand my CHOICE of who I go with.

I skip dinner tonight and just go to sleep early, thinking about devil again.

Sure maybe he could be rough and tumble but I think it's coo also maybe a jerk, hence the name devil but maybe he's not all that bad.

I drift off and then wake up and get ready and go to school again.
I figure I have to walk so I start walking.
As I walk down the street towards the school I hear a car. Assuming it just any regular car I see it get closer and closer to me at very slow speeds.

I glance back at it and see in the car it's devil.

Oh crap.

I turn away and avoid any contact with him, because I am going to take Sally's advise this time
I can hear it slow down more and more and then come to a stop
I keep walking and just try it to notice at all even though it was clear that I did notice.

"Hey!" I hear a voice behind me. It's obviously devil shouting out the window.

I quickly turn around and pretend everything is normal.
"Yeah?" I answer.

"Why are you walking?" He asks.
My face is red.
"Well, my parents won't drive me." I say.

"Come on get it." He says sighing.
"Sure." I say as I enter the car.

He accelerates the car and we are off. We drive in silence for a little.
"So--" I try to speak but devil interrupts me.
"Why were you looking at me yesterday." Devil quickly asks randomly.

His face is red as well as mine.
"Well, I don't know. You just seem cool I guess." I say nervous.

"Well, I'm glad somebody does, haha."
He says.
"Why do you say that?" I ask.
"Well, because I'm supposedly not popular or cool enough to be friends with... well people like you."
He says.

"Then why did you pick me up?" I ask.
"Because it's like, 3 freaking miles from your house to the school. And i thought just maybe I could try and talk to you more. And the way you looked at me, it was different than the way others do, I just assumed you were nice or something, I don't know. Just forget it." Devil says.

"And look at me. Trying to hang out with those other dirt bags. They don't even care about me. They're crappy friends, they aren't fun anymore and all they talk about is girls and "getting good grades." He says.
"I know I'm the devil and all, which makes me want to strangle them all the time. But they do make me look good and that's what I want." Devil adds laughing.
I laugh as well. We both smile.

Then We approach the school.
I look and see upon the sidewalk my friends.
Knowing that they would get upset seeing me with devil, IN HIS CAR.

"Devil, uhh, can you drop me off over there?" I say pointing to a fence that would close sight to them.

"Why? He asks.
"Because. Well. My friends told me to stay away from you. I don't want them to see me with you. I really think you're a cool guy."

Devil glares at me. "Wow, I guess I was wrong about you, you're just like them.
I knew I shouldn't have pulled up. Just get out!" He says as he drapes his wrists over the steering wheel.

"No devil, please. You were right, I am different. I want to be your friend, but I don't want to lose my other friends."
I say trying to explain.

"Am I really that horrible in their eyes?" Devil asks.
"I... I don't know." I say.

"Why do you even care about what you're friends think of you? If they don't let you hang with other people, then what good are they to you?" Devil says.

I'm speechless. For a devil that was pretty wise.

"I have to go." I say opening the door.
"Whatever. Just get out." Devil says.

I get out and make it to school without my friends seeing me.