Eighteen Going on Dead

Start from the beginning

I nod my head yes, "Just took it off the charger."

"You have the pepper spray?"

I nod my head once again. "I keep it on my keys." Like myself, parents have not forgotten about the brutal death of Naomi Jones. The mayor even ordered teenagers to carry pepper spray and travel in packs during the day, even the guys couldn't go home alone unless they had car and baseball bat in the back seat. "I'm going to be fine Aunt Joyce." I assured.

She sighed heavily and nod her head in agreement. "Yeah, I know. You know how to kick ass, make sure you don't freeze up and punch them in the throat like I taught you." Like I said, the only female cop who knows how to kick ass.

"I will." I looked up to see the headlights of my friends car pulling into the driveway. "Goodnight, I'll be back by eleven."

"You better. Be safe."

I dashed out the door before my friend could honk her horn. It was a thing to have a car in town, even when you're not going anywhere but the corner store; unfortunately my friend could not buy her own car for the night, but she managed to sweet talk her parents into burrowing theirs. I hopped into the passenger side, gave her a bright smile that soon dropped when I spotted the one person that was deeper in Naomi's death than I.

Courtney Ebbs was not as unknown as Naomi. She had friends- a very social butterfly that would go to parties and mingle. She was also a cheerleader along side Tanya, Courtney matched the description of a beautiful cheerleader with her red hair and fair flawless skin. Fortunately she was never liked that in middle school through freshman year, that's how Naomi and her met, ever since then they were stuck together like glue.

"Hey Courtney," I gave her a simple wave out of shock to see her going to this party.

Unlike Naomi and I, Courtney and I shared a few conversation from time to time; being that she's a friend of a friend. "Hey Zaire." She was also the only person who can say my full name correctly without screwing up.

I turned to my friend, who was not paying us any mind. Yolanda has been my partner in crime for over twelve years, even through my parents death she has been by my side. However, Courtney and Yolanda has known each other longer and still managed to find other best friends; they were the complete opposite as well. Not just the different ethnicities (Courtney being white and Yolanda a mixed Filipino and Indian) they held different interest and habits. One like cheerleading and the other likes soccer. One is very social while the other rather keep to herself. One is good with the boys while the other is good with ladies. It was true that the opposites attract.

Yolanda fingers tapped on the stirring wheel while listening to whatever Pop song that came on the radio. Other than Florence singing her heart out and the drums picking up pace, the car was silent- no one dared to share a word about anything. That was until we pulled up to the large lake house, it was already full of single minded teenagers of all ages; usually the twins would keep it open for seniors and juniors, but since they pulled the trick as a ceremonial celebration for Naomi's passing they had to open it up for the whole school- which is a lot.

"Jesus, how the hell am I going to find parking?" Yolanda finally spoke up, her words were low and stern as her eyes zoned in on finding a good parking space. Cars were lined up on each side of the road, because of the death, parents gave up their cars for the night.

Yolanda managed to find a spot at the end of the road nearest to the lake. It was dark with a mist, a very spooky vibe, considering we could barely see the house nor hear the music- only crickets and frogs. "I'm not going to stay long." Yolanda announced, face stern and full of irritation. It's never a day when she smiled, even when I first met her she was curing out the day and its inhabitants. The statement was mainly for Courtney, with her social status she would be forced to stay longer than eleven. Of course Yolanda and I have artist guardians at home that would literally drag us out the house if they have to.