4. Aid

Chapter Four: Aid

A

The twenty minute ride back to Charlotte's was uncomfortably silent — at least for James it was. For Louis, it was a perfect, quiet and peaceful moment, one that he rarely received when back with the boys. He was watching the orange light of the large lampposts on the empty streets rush by, not wanting to speak or listen, or even think, he just wanted to enjoy and appreciate the few moments he had left before he was returned back to the hellhole he called home.

Not long after he realized how truly quiet it was, James, unfortunately, began to start up a casual conversation, which didn't seem to be going on well so far by the look of Louis' annoyed expression as soon as the words came out of his lips. "Are you from around here?"

Louis looked over at him, a bored look on his face. "What do you think?"

"Ah, he does speak." The other jokes, emitting a small titter. "Well, you're in London, so what do you think I'll answer?" James retorted in the same tone of voice the elder used.

He rolled his eyes, looking back out of the window. "Doncaster, actually."

"That's cool. So, why move to London, then? You have any family here?"

Louis' eye twitched at that stress-induced question, his mind referring back to all of his memories of his traumatic childhood and birth city, it's why he made a promise to himself that he is never to return — and to never forgive. After all these weeks of being away from Doncaster, he's finally realised how much of a horrible place his hometown truly was. He also questioned himself how he had managed to stay there for so long. "Fuck off if you know what's good for you." He snapped, almost growling, with his brows converging. Louis leaned against the car door with his arms crossed and over the beltline, resting his head on top of his arms. "Try it again and I'll flip ya." He nonchalantly threatened, slowly blinking.

James frowned, pursing his lips. "Lou—" He sighed, placing his free hand on Louis' thigh. "I'm sorry, I didn't know how sensitive the topic was for you, I won't ask about it again, if it makes you feel any better."

Louis looked down at James' hand placement, surprised at himself for not wincing like the little bitch he always believed he was. By the look of his face, James thought he was going to regret touching him, quickly pulling away.

"Pull over." Louis muttered, not once moving a muscle, gesturing towards the gasoline station just up ahead with a finger.

"What?"

"I want to get out!" He snapped, slapping the car door loudly. "I need some air! Pull over, now!"

Quickly, James drove the car to the side of the road, just behind the gasoline station, as he quietly prayed that he doesn't take a knife out and slices his throat open. Not this soon, at least — his best friend still needs him.

James watched him as he hurriedly unbuckled his belt, unlocked the door and made his way to the station.

"What the fuck?" He whispered to himself, watching Louis rush inside the convenience store. He parked the car right in front of the store before getting out of the car, leaving the engine running, not giving it a second thought. He walked inside, a little bell ringing as soon as he opened the doors. The curly-haired, chocolate-skinned cashier rolled her eyes as she ate the rest of her rainbow-sprinkled donut. "Welcome, how may I help you —"