Voices And Doors

After a few hours, Bridgette walks to the library. She grabs any book from the shelf to clear her pained mind.

Alek was dusting off books in the back of the library, memories of the books coming to mind as he read the titles.

Alek picks up a book, remembering it vaguely. "Mythology of Distant Lands..." he read the title, flipping it open to the title page.

Bridgette spots him and her ears lower. Her head replays his words over and over and her heart pains with each one. She wishes for him, wishes he would do something. But she felt one sided and it made her feel sick and unloved. She looks back down at her book, trying to read.

He chuckles and puts it away. "Gosh even this book has foxes." He puts it away.

She stands up, shutting the book sharply and unable to read anymore. She puts it back and walks out quickly.

Alek hears the slamming of the book's pages and turns, curiously glancing over. He walks over to the table, finding the book she was reading. He picked it up, sighing and putting it away.

Bridgette walks to her room and growls to herself. "This is torture... being married to a man whom I fear after my father gives me away like a war toy.... watching my tortured love tell me he will never forgive me for protecting HIS home... this. Is. Torture." She trembles and truly does feel sick.

A knock is heard at her door.

She jolts at the knock and looks at it sharply "Who's there?"

"My lady, it is only I." Alek said, adjusting the books in his hands. "I had noticed you in the library and thought you would like something to read that was worthwhile."

Hearing his voice fills her heart with pain and she shakes her head. "Leave them by the door."

"Are you sure?" He asks, the corners of his mouth twitching at a frown. He had wanted to see her.

"... No... but I feel as if you should just leave them at the door." She gulps and lays on her bed, holding her stomach.

He stands there for a moment longer. "As you wish," he sets them down. "Is there anything you need?"

"A.... a bucket?" She curls up and shuts her eyes tightly, not knowing what she wants.

"A bucket? My lady I do hope you aren't sick." Alek bites his cheek.

"I am just a little sick." She gulps and holds herself tighter, shaking "... c-can you get Timber...?" She realizes she needs any form of comfort, even if it terrifies her.

Alek narrows his eyes. "I'll get you a bucket. I'm sure Timber is busy." His tone sounded bitter. He started to walk off.

"N-no please! I-" he's already gone and she whimpers, shutting her eyes tightly and gulping down all her sickness.

A few minutes later he knocks. "I've brought you a bucket and some honey-hot chocolate. It should help soothe stomach pains."

"O-okay just leave it by the door please," she hiccups and holds tighter.

"If you let me in I can help you..." he was beginning to feel sick himself.

"No t-thats fine." She gulps "Just... just by the door if fine."

"I'd like to see you." He says, sounding a little less professional. "If I see you I can properly find a way to help, one that doesn't involve leaving things at your door."

She shakes her head, feeling as if he is just playing servant. But she says softly "The door is unlocked..."

Alek opens the door, walking in with a worried look on his face. He sets down the bucket, moving to her with the cocoa. He feels her forehead. "You don't feel sick... what's the matter?"

She sits up quickly and turns away, holding her stomach "Nothing. Get out. You brought me my things now leave." Her voice is back to orderly, but it sounds almost weak. Her ears are lowered.

Alek takes a step back, innocently holding the cup to his chest with a surprised face. He glances at the cup. "As you wish." He says quietly, setting the cup on her bedside. He bows to her before starting for the door.

She gulps and looks at the cup. She just lays down and cries herself to sleep.

Alek continues working, although he doesn't keep a straight face. Instead he frowns. He worries for Bridgette and his hands work faster, wondering when his day of beating had been decided.

That night he can hear timber speaking in bridgette's room.
"Oh my dear... you must stop worrying about that fool... He probably doesn't even love you anymore..."
"... W-what do you mean...?"
"You saw how quickly he moved on to Monarch... how quickly he moved on from you... He doesn't want you anymore..."
Bridgette whimpers.
"Oh dont cry my dear... I have something planed for him tomorrow, don't you worry."
"I-i dont want him hurt..."
"... Of course not..." there is a grin in Timbers voice.

Alek bites his tongue. He couldn't leave. He couldn't let Bridgette know why he was there. He would have to be patient. He could endure it...

*******

A/N: Dude the book is almost over! Oh L will be so excited and proud I can't wait to tell her!