Gregorio finally stepped away from the counter and joined us outside of Diego's room. It looked as if he was ageing in front of us. He could not bear to lose Diego, the only person in the world that he still cared about.
Diego had become his will to live after the death of Maya. Even though the nurses are supposed to be understanding and they seem to know the severity of the situation, they would never be able to understand the way he felt.

Diego is his son. And the two of them had just sorted out all of their problems, they were finally on the same page.

And for Gregorio to lose him now?

The thought made him shudder.

Gregorio first went to Marco, the person he knows is closest to Diego. His best friend for as long as he could remember.

Now that Gregorio was here, Marco finally allowed himself to break. His body shook as sobs wracked his body. I felt even more guilty, which I thought was impossible. After a few minutes, Marco steps away and wipes his face with his sleeve.

"What could have possibly made him do this?" Gregorio asks Marco but before he can answer I speak up.

"Me."

Anger sparked in Gregorio's eyes but he hid it well. He asked me exactly what I meant, his voice clearly strained. This time Marco cuts me off and explains. Gregorio's eyes are on me the entire time Marco recounts the events of the last two weeks and eventually his gaze softens.

"You love him?" Gregorio asks, his voice light with hope.

"I do," I smile.

My smile falls as I picture him in the hospital room strapped to machines, drips surrounding him, the (hopefully) steady beat of the heart rate monitor and I slump back in my chair.

I closed my eyes and continued to silently wish that he was okay. They were taking too long in there. Surely, he did not have to do an operation. They could have let us in by now.

"Mr Hernandez?" I open my eyes and see that the doctor had finally opened the door to his room.

I craned my neck to see if I could catch a glimpse of him but to no avail. Gregorio and the doctor talk in a hushed tone and I see relief cross Gregorio's features and his body seems to relax.

"You may go and see him," The doctor tells him and Gregorio nods.

He thanks the doctor before the doctor walks down the hallway and to another patient. Gregorio goes in first, of course. I allowed myself to breathe and wait.

Everything would be okay, concerning his health at least.

But between the two of us?

I hoped that he still wanted me. That his near-death experience did not bring him to a sudden revelation that he was better of with me. I wanted to doubt the possibility but it was still there.

Ignoring him and being angry seemed futile now. Now, I just wanted to be with him. I was so close to losing him without knowing what it was like to really be loved by him. To be with somebody now that I knew I loved him.

I wanted to enjoy every moment with him. I didn't want to waste any more time fighting. There were more important things to do. It was not worth losing all of that time, now that I knew how easy it could be for one of us to pass away.

How sudden it could be.

I did not want to ever feel the regret I had been feeling for the last five hours.

I loved him and that was all that mattered.

Gregorio exits and says that the next person can go in. Marco and Camila gesture for me to go in but I shake my head and say they should go. They thank me before practically running in. Before they close the door I hear his faint laugh.

Beautiful Mistake | ✓जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें