Everyone in the hall were on their feet, anxious to be outside and witness the fight between the two of them. The kings were next to my father in an instant, murmuring to each other so low that none could hear.

"We have to go outside babygirl." Vixen's voice brought me back from my deep state of thought and I grunted in dismay.

"Why? So I watch him bleed out again?" It was harsh of me, I admit, but I couldn't bite back my tongue. Feeling someone's stare, I looked to the right and saw Jace's intense gaze.

Catching my father's raised eyebrow, as if telling me why the hell am I still here when I should be outside with the rest of the council members, I darted out of the hall with my eyes set ahead, Vixen hot on my tail.

"Aya, there's no need to be so mad about it. He's just doing what he had to do and to be honest I saw it coming." Vixen argued.

"So the best solution was to challenge Silas and probably end up with another wound as large as the one on his chest? Vixen the man is dead either way, that act of heroism wasn't needed." I snapped, halting my steps to a stop and sighed frustratingly.

I just couldn't understand why didn't he tell me that he's actually going to do that. I'm not as angry about the entire deal as much as I'm irritated that he didn't try and bother telling me.

I put two and two together, the mystery behind the mind link being cut off finally discovered. He did that on purpose, not allowing me to feel him, to hear his thoughts, to talk to him, all because of this rubbish.

"Unbelievable." I shook my head, turning around and continued walking straight down the arena, spotting the council members gathered in a circle from afar.

"Would you stop being so damn stubborn Aya!" Vixen growled, blocking my path.

"What do you want Vixen?" I folded my arms over my chest, not in the mood for hearing him side with Jace on this.

"Did you seriously expect him to keep his cool just as the person that nearly killed you and him was a couple of steps away?" He demanded, staring right down at me.

"Yes." It took me a few moments to answer but there was no doubt that it was a lie. Thinking his words over, I put myself in Jace's shoes back there and understood that there was no escaping the inevitable.

It was bound to happen.

"You're lying." He pointed out.

"Oh I'm sorry but I didn't know what to expect! I mean sure he wasn't just going to stand there." I trailed off contradicting my thoughts from a few minutes ago.

Gosh, why did he have to be so convincing?

"If he had let the council go through with the sentence then others would start thinking of him as an easy target and as a result they'll begin using his weakness against him.

You are his weakness Aya, and not stepping in the way he did would've let others hurt you to get to him since he's going to be crowned king soon. He only did that to keep you safe." His frustration slipped in, his eyes searching mine for any change of judgement.

I was speechless. It was like being hit by a stone to clear the fogginess clouding my mind and let it function properly. At loss of words, I pinched the bridge of my nose and let out a heavy breath.

All the frustration building up from the morning towards Jace redirected itself to be aiming at me and I never felt such self-disappointment as I did right now.

"Don't let the guilt eat you out, just trust Jace to be doing the right decision. He's going to be king babygirl, and a king never acts out of ignorance." I nodded, unable to say anything.