Chapter 38

~Aya

"How are you feeling?" Leila asked quietly, breaking the silence that had taken over the room. She had her shoulders slumped down in defeat, her eyes illuminating the sadness she was feeling.

I took in a deep breath, scrunching my eyebrows in defeat when I couldn't particularly find an answer to her question. What I felt? I felt nothing, absolutely nothing. It's weird considering that just yesterday my life was about to be taken away from me, not excluding the fact that Jace's condition was pretty dangerous.

But there it was, the emptiness.

I still couldn't comprehend the reason behind my coolness, my state of numbness. It was like my emotions were put at pause, waiting for something to repress the play button. Everyone was nervously waiting for me to break down, expecting me to lose my calm any minute now as if it was the most normal thing in the world, ready to give me the shoulder to cry on.

And to be honest, I supposed the same. Being locked up in a cell for days, pressured by the thought of my fate either being a powerless demon or a lifeless body was enough to make any girl's mental state unstable.

"Good I guess." I shrugged my shoulders, looking back at her before redirecting my gaze to the outside. I could see a couple of reporters still unwavering outside the gates, hoping to be the first to unwrap the big mystery of the princess's return.

Any other girl in my shoes would've loved the attention she was getting, being the talk of the town, the headline of every magazine – a downright celebrity. But no, not me. Not a girl that experienced the true meaning of having the life being sucked out of her, the crashing reality of losing a mate. Almost.

I remember reading a book about werewolves a couple years back, enthralled upon finishing the section where it talks about mate. The love of having one, but the pain of losing one. It's like your soul being split in two when a mate dies, an unbearable torturous agony surging through your entire self.

Mind, body and soul.

Though I am not a werewolf, but I have gone through that. Watching Jace drop to the ground the way he did, his eyes closing as he took in what could've possibly been his last breaths cracked my ability to endure.

The image of the gash over his blood covered chest is forever carved in my head, and it was that exact same moment that I thought it was over. Not only his life, but mine too.

"Aya, are you even listening to me?" I glanced sideways to see an annoyed looking Leila wearing a scowl on her face.

"Uh, what were you saying?" I tilted my head, pushing myself away from the window to come closer to her.

"I was saying that Vixen talked to the doctor this morning and he said that Jace should be up in the next twenty-four hours, give or take." She said carefully, her eyes roaming my face waiting for my reaction.