Darkness

Placing my morning tea on the table, I picked up the newspaper and casually glanced through the headlines.

Dmitri came and sat beside me and peeped into the newspaper too.

To tease him, I simply turned around, blocking his view.

“Hey,” he tried to force me to turn. I resisted.

Soon we were rolling on the carpet tickling each other and shouting like crazy.

We were such a silly couple. It has been a year since we were married and still we felt as if we were new lovers, same old pranks.

He kissed me got up laughing.

I bent down to collect the pages of the newspaper and I froze. There on one of the pages was me.

Me, but quite not me. She had a devilish glint in her eyes and a chilling smile. Dressed in an iron suit and spandex leggings, with her blond hair fluttering wildly, she looked a perfect picture of fury. Darkness seemed to radiate from every fibre of her body. And the picture stared at me in that dangerous way.

It was captioned…

REMEMBRANCE OF THE DAY WHEN SUPER-VILLAIN ‘PHOENIX’ WAS FINALLY ARRESTED AND PUT ON TRIAL

TWO YEARS BACK, ON THIS DAY, THE DREAD OF THE NIGHT, THE SERIAL-KILLER AND TECHNO-VILLAIN PHOENIX WAS FINALLY DEFEATED AND ARRESTED. GUARDIAN FIRE FOUGHT HER AND NEUTRALISED THE THREAT FOR THE TOWN. GUARDIAN FIRE, OUR SUPER-HERO WAS NEVER SEEN AFTER THAT BUT THE CITY PEOPLE STILL WORSHIP AND REMEMBER HIM AND THAT EPIC BATTLE FOUGHT, WHICH HAD SHAKEN THE ENTIRE CITY, LEAVING BEHIND A SCAR ON THE FACE OF HUMANITY…

I sat there, too stunned to speak.

Seeing me squatting on the floor, the newspaper in my hand, Dmitri bent down to investigate what the matter was.

“Where did you get this?” he snatched the paper out of my hand and tore it up, “Damn them!”

“W…Why am I there, Dmitri. W…Who am I? I don’t remember anything as such,” I stammered.

“Just let it go, Roselle, ignore them, these newspapers publish nothing but a bunch of crap,” his voice was angry as he clenched his fists, crumpling the last bit of paper in his hand.

Then he tossed it into the dustbin and helped me up.

“Come on,” he urged, “You will be late for office.”

I simply nodded, but I couldn’t just shake off the feeling that he knew something about it.
…………………………………………………………………………………..

I made up my find to go to the library and look up the news in the newspaper archives. If this was such an event, there was sure to be a lot of news. I had to get to the end of this matter. This was beginning to creep me out.