Ironic

"DANNY!"

Energy courses into my hand and I finally slap the gun from his grip until it skids from my reach.

His body hits the floor with a sickening thud, blood splattering through me and onto the concrete where mine was once smeared.

"NO!"

I crawl over his body, unable to touch him. All I can do is watch as the hole in his head spills blood across the floor. So much blood.

"No, no, no, no, no, no, Danny. No."

My fingers feather over his cheeks, over his wound, unfeeling.

He isn't breathing.

"Danny," I whisper as if he'd answer.

This is how it feels, isn't it? To lose someone?

I scream through the pain, desperately trying to feel him, to hear him, to get a response.

I claw at the ground through him, punching it in my effort to get to him.

Suddenly I'm jolted back, arms wrapping around mine, trapping them to my body, warmth seeping into my skin for the first time since the morning I died.

"Shhh, calm down baby. I'm here, I'm here."

"NO!"

"SANDY! It's me!"

My body goes slack in his arms, terrified to look behind me, to see what was left of him.

"Danny?" I choke, eyes screwed shut.

I feel him turn me around and drag me into his chest. So warm it burns. Everything burns.

My hands clutch at his shirt so tight my knuckles hurt.

He feels so familiar, my head tucked under his chin, his arms around me. I missed this. Oh god, I missed this.

I pull back and cautiously blink my eyes open.

He grins at me, so happy that my heart skips.

"You fucking dickhead!" I shriek at him, pushing at his chest and glaring so hard I can hardly see. "Why would you do that?!"

He watches me with wide eyes, shocked at my sudden outburst of anger. He bites his lip and rubs the back of his head, wincing when he brushes the new hole.

"Uhhh..."

"You could have done so much! Danny...!" I punch at his chest again, not really knowing what I was doing. "IDIOT!"

"You're just as beautiful as I remember," he whispers, eyes glossy with tears.

My arms are around his neck, my legs around his hips before I can stop myself. The human contact is so foreign that I almost head butt him but I eventually cling onto him like I could force him even closer to me.

"I love you but you're a fucking idiot and I hate you."

He laughs, holding me so tight that I'm not breathing but it doesn't matter because I'm a ghost... and now he is too.

"I love you too baby. I missed you so much."

"I can't believe you're here."

"I can't believe that worked."

"Arsehole."

"I looked like shit."

"You're bald."

"I know."

"I love you."

"I know."

"Do you like your new dress?"

Confused I pull back to look at him. But his eyes are between us.

I look down, taken aback by the new clothes.

A new dress. ...no.

"Of course you'd put me in this."

His second favourite dress of mine. A beautiful black dress that flowed down to my knees, a little long compared to our younger tastes.

I remember it. I put it on for his birthday the year before I died and he showed me just how much he loved this dress before, during and after his birthday party... by stripping it off of me.

I look back at him, half expecting to see him in newer clothes.

"You still look like a tramp," I state, confused on how my clothes had suddenly changed.

"You were buried in that this morning," he tells me with a guilty smile.

My forehead knocks against his as I try to rest against him and I laugh at my awkwardness after so many years.

"I'm sorry."

"For what?"

"For dying. I tried to fight back... I thought... I tried."

"Shhh. Let's forget that. We don't need that anymore. We're together now."

He pecks me on the lips and I melt.

I drop my legs from around his hips and pull him down to kiss him properly.

His lips are everywhere, warming my entire face. He feathers over my eyelids, one by one, my nose and finally back to my own.

"I'm so angry at you," I whisper against his lips.

"We'll sort all that out after my body's found and I look a little cuter."

"Puppy eyes won't work on me this time, Paul."

He cringes at the use of his first name and I almost feel bad, pulling him into another quick kiss, unable to pull away from the familiarity of his lips.

We stay close like that for a while, taking each other in and feeling each other for the first time in so many years.

"I thought I'd lost you forever," he whispers.

A tear slides down my cheek, which he quickly swipes away. The simple gesture almost breaks me again.

My lips twitch into a smile.

"This may be the cheesiest thing I've ever said but now we have forever together."

"Definitely the cheesiest thing I've ever heard you say," he responds with a laugh, a laugh so beautiful it take my breath away.

We may be dead now but this is what I lived for.

And now it's just us. Maybe forever, maybe for a month, I still have no idea how death works.

So I'm going to make the most of it.

This time- this time...

I'm going to live.

Ironic isn't it?

The End

~~