Chapter 9: Think Of It As A Dream

Things couldn't have been more awkward for Otis when Oaklee walked up to him the next day. He was pretending to not have seen her as he acted like he was busy with work at his desk. 

"Hey, Otis," she greeted quietly with obvious sadness ringing through. 

"Hey, Oaklee, what's wrong," he wondered as he finally looked at her. 

She sighed before sitting on the edge of his desk, him jerking his head back a bit as his heart rate sped up. The dream was still fresh in his mind, and only feet away was where he had found his jacket in the fantasy. 

"I tried to explain the truth to the Big O, but he just claimed that I was being modest. He didn't believe me, so I guess I'm stuck with the title Top Ms. O now," she weakly smiled. 

"How is that a bad thing," asked Otis. 

"It's not. I just don't feel like I'm worthy of it," she explained, stepping off of his desk. 

"Hey, I, uh, don't have any odd cases to solve right now. What do you say we go out to lunch," he questioned, not believing that he had practically asked her out on a date. 

His heart was hammering more violent than ever, as the tiny seconds he waited for her response seemed endless. 

"I'd love that," she smiled softly, him releasing a silent breath he had been holding in. 

"Okay, it's a day-time to go," he corrected, almost calling their outing a date. 

Just as he stood up though, Olympia had come back from filing some paperwork. 

"Hey, Otis. Whatcha doin," she asked with a classic, Olympia smile. 

"Just catching some lunch with Oaklee," he reacted, instantly feeling guilt for not inviting his partner. 

"So...," dragged out Olympia as she glanced at the ground for a moment for the search of her answer. 

"That's cool. I'll just be at my desk. Working, like usual," she managed to smile brightly. 

"Cool. I'll see you around, I guess," Otis awkwardly reacted. 

"Yeah, see you," Olympia spoke too quietly for anyone to hear as the duo left together. 

"You okay, Olympia," checked Oona as she suddenly showed up. 

"Oh yeah, fine, just peachy keen, you know me," Olympia faked with a wide smile and forced laugh. 

"Oaklee and Otis have been spending a lot of time together," observed Oona. 

"Tell me about it," Olympia agreed slouching in her chair with her arms folded across her chest. 

"But you two are inseparable. I'm sure he'll come to his senses soon," guessed Oona. 

"What do you mean," inquired Olympia, looking at her warily. 

"It's obvious, isn't it? You have feelings for him," said Oona confidently. 

"Pfft, me have feelings for Otis? That's crazy. We're just friends," she claimed. 

"That's what Ms. O said about Oscar before he left forever to work for the scientists," pointed out Oona before casually leaving. 

Olympia's entire face was full of worry when it hit her. What if the top Ms. O invited Otis to work for her or something? She would never see her partner again! She didn't have a crush on him though, right?

Otis was practically shaking as he pulled Oaklee's chair out for her at the local Italian restaurant owned by two brothers. He wasn't much more calm as he situated himself in the seat across from hers at the table.