"Canty's the one who's been working with Preston," I say finally. "He's the one who put the ricin on my desk and in my locker."

Chase is unnervingly blank as he says, "Jeremy Canty?"

I nod, the words coming out in a rush. "He told me earlier today when I caught him lying." When Chase quirks a brow, I explain, "He mentioned that I was the one who was threatened, but, as you know, the entire school thinks that I threatened someone instead. When I called him out on it, he confessed the whole thing."

His silver eyes darken. "Have you told your friends yet?"

"No," I say, shaking my head. "He said he'd fail Leon and Whitler if I told them. Neither of them are good at hiding their emotions, and they'd tear into him without thinking about it first. Besides, no one in the school would believe us without hard evidence, so all he'd have to do is say that Leon didn't turn in homework and Whitler didn't go to class or some shit and fail them before we could do anything."

"Well, why didn't you tell me?" he asks, almost angry.

I look at him incredulously, irritated again. "I wonder," I growl. He looks surprised, but I don't pay any attention to him. "It couldn't be because someone was ignoring me like a 5-year-old, could it? Actually, you were the first person on my mind, but no, you were too busy pretending like I didn't exist, like I didn't..."

I stop myself, clenching my teeth. Everything I had felt in class comes crashing back, almost suffocating me.

"So, you weren't upset with me in class today then?" he challenges.

I chew on the inside of my lip, ignoring the knowing look on his face as it starts to bleed, the metallic taste of blood touching my tongue.

Way to go, Vixen. Just spell it out for him.

"As if I give a shit whether you talk to me or not," I say defiantly.

He tilts his head. "But didn't you make a comment about it? Just before heading out the door?"

"That's just because you were being a child about everything!" I burst. "What's the big deal anyway!? It's just a kiss, Chase! I didn't even ask for it—Darestin forced it on me—but that shouldn't matter anyway because you're the adult here, over millions of years old apparently, and you were acting like you were two!"

He raises an eyebrow, waiting, and I can't seem to stop myself.

"You know, Nikki made the comment that it was cheating—Darestin and me kissing—but all I am to you is some experiment, right? Just some orphan kid you can pass your time with. Which, fine, whatever. I get it. I really do. But as soon as Canty blackmailed me, as soon as he said I couldn't tell Leon or Whit or anyone in the gang... you know who I thought of?" I let out a shuddering breath. "It was you... It was... I tried to convince myself that it was just because you were the logical choice, but, in reality, I just wanted... I just wanted you to smirk like an asshole like you always do and tell me it'll be okay, tell me that you... that you..." I trail off, unaware that I'm even crying until Chase's hand cups my face in his hand, thumb wiping tears away.

"I think you are the most infuriating human I've ever met," he says softly.

I roll my eyes, sniffing. "Yeah, well, you're not the easiest person to get along with eith—"

Chase pulls me against him. I ram into his chest and rub my head as I look up at him, readying myself to argue, but his lips catch mine. It's slow, languid, and annoyingly gentle, making me groan. I feel him smirk against my mouth before he leans back. "You are more than an experiment to me, love."