Back in the hospital

It must've been fate or irony for Trafalgar D. Water Law to operate you. Newgate stayed with you and told Sabo to drive home by himself. You were currently asleep on a warm, comfortable bed. Edward was in the same room, nervously pacing around.
"Come on Lad, wake up." You heard him say, his voice laced with worry and a bit of fear itched in the back of his words. The pain was still there, but barely noticeable. This could very well be the bottle of Painkillers work, which was attached to your arm.
"Why did you stay?" You asked, your voice hardly noteworthy. He still heard you, turned around the second the first word left your lips. He came closer, one of his big hands softly patted your head. "Because I kinda raised you too (M/N) and you looked like you were about to die. My boys love you, especially Luffy, why wouldn't I stay Lad? You know you're important to us."
Your eyes burned the moment they teared up and you sniffled. No, you weren't important. You were just the leftover of your parents that didn't love you. You were that little shit that always got the others into trouble, you got kicked out of college. Crocodile made you feel important. His texts,  the calls, the endless bickering between the two of you. You were so fixated on your work, on him, that you pushed your, friends aside. Over and over again. Just to get his attention. It was like a drug. Having him compliment you even in the slightest. Telling you what to do and when.

You forgot that you were important to your friends. It itched in your fingers to strangle Doflamingo for telling Marco that you were dead.
"Are you okay?" Edward asked, interrupting the silence. You only shook your head.
"I'm in so much shit right now I don't deserve to be important." Tears rolled down your face as you tugged the blanket closer. Now he was the one shaking his head. "Don't say that. Even if you're in trouble, you'll always be important. And if you need help, then you can always come to me. My door is wide open for you, big one." A soft smile overcame your lips and you wiped away the tears. Edward even argued with Law to stay for the night. It really wasn't necessary as it would only be uncomfortable for him. That really wasn't what you wanted. But he insisted to stay to comfort you.
And so he did.
You talked with the giant man through the remaining night.

About his trip. How Sabo met a nice young woman that would soon move to town and the shyness of the scared blonde. He mentioned that his car broke down when they originally wanted to leave so they had to stay a bit longer than planned. It was funny, how something like this was the reason why they found you. How he saved your life because of a broken car. The both of you laughed a lot and you even harder because of how funny his laughter was.
And then he told you how he missed your bickering with the boys, how you used to prank them with Ace or Marco, how much he liked it when you made them laugh so hard they couldn't remember how to breathe.
"It's like you suddenly didn't want to be with us anymore," he states, voice suddenly filled with sadness.
"No, I still love to be with you and the boys. It's just that after Luffy got drugged that one night when we went out. I thought it was my fault. I'm just convinced that I'm no good for them. I mean: look at me. I got kicked out of school, a couple nights ago I got drugged, fought Eustass Kid and now I got shot because of my own stupidity."
"That sounds like you need help, son. You didn't shoot yourself multiple times, did you?"
"No," the thought almost made you laugh.

"And you weren't the one that ruined your left ear to the point where it's completely deaf, right?"
"I did walk in there, but no. Wasn't me."
"Did you knowingly take drugs?"
"No Sir, I didn't."
"Then why exactly are you the bad one?" Silence filled the room as the first sunrays entered through the window, tickling your nose.
"(M/N),"Edwards' voice was serious again, "if you need help with something, anything, then you are welcome to talk with me. You could even stay with me and my boys, like the good old times before your parents were assholes. You still remember the time when you stayed with us for weeks, don't you?"
"Of course I do. That was the best time of my life. Just us being completely nuts and drinking lots of cocoa whilst snuggling up on you... man that would be nice." You felt a warm, fuzzy happiness growing inside your belly. These memories never failed to cheer you up. Back then you weren't just friends with them, you were part of their family. A big, awesome family.

Visiting times started after breakfast so you weren't surprised when the brothers walzed into the room. What did surprise you, however, was that Luffy cried like a hysteric child. He hugged you, cuddled you, almost getting too close to your wounds. He was madly sobbing and babbled something you couldn't catch at all. It was as if he spoke a completely different language.
"He sat next to me when I tried to call you, yoi." Marco explained, wiping some tears from his face, "he tried to call again and again, but nothing happened yoi. He started to cry and was completely out of reality. Only stopped when he fell asleep to try again once he woke up yoi." That was Luffys reaction upon thinking about you being dead? Your buffed gaze wandered over to Ace who sniffled a little himself.

Law told you later on that you'd have to stay in the hospital for, at least, two weeks. Luffy still hugged you hours later, but he didn't cry anymore. He just refused to let go of you. "Please don't ever die (M/N)," he sobbed, cuddling his face in the crook of your neck. Sabo brought you your bag, Ace hugged you for a short while himself and Thatch, as well as Marco, threatened to kick your ass if you ever dared to scare them like this ever again. Though you agreed with them, never in your life did you want to feel this much pain once more. Edward took his sons with him in the evening, leaving you alone to rest. Without the knowledge, if Doflamingo was ever told that you escaped, what Crocodile did when he got to the Manson. He must think that you were dead. No one would ever brag about a murder just to call an hour later to tell him that this never was a murder. With that, you had no idea what would happen next.

'Uncle Kuzan, probably.'

You felt like a prophet when Kuzan stormed the room first thing in the morning. But he wasn't as calm as he always was. In fact, he looked like he cried through the night.
"What happened?" He asked, voice breaking in the middle of the question, "Why did someone shoot you?"
"It wasn't really a someone Kuzan and more of an accident!"
"An accident shot you multiple times and made your left ear deaf?" He was trying hard to compose himself. He left the room for a short time when you didn't answer. Coming back in he was calmer, and sat down beside you.
"You disappeared after I fell asleep, Edward tells me you got shot whilst Marco and the others thought you were dead. I thought," he swallowed the tears, "I thought that I had lost you (M/N). I thought I would never see you again and I was so desperate to hear that you were okay I drove to Edward and he told me you were alive but in trouble. Can I ask you to tell me in what kind of trouble you are?"
"I'm sorry Kuzan. I really am please don't give up on me now," you begged, sobbing uncontrollably, "but I can't tell you about it. Not right now. But I will, I promise, I swear I'll tell you everything. Just give me time." He sighed, patting your head he promised:
"I'm not like your parents, big boy. I won't kick you out, I'll give you the time you need, but I want to know what's happening to you."
After that, you got a visit from, at least, one of your friends every day. Sanji even brought you some eatable food.