21: Should've Been Me

Hezekiah Collins

"What took you so long?" I asked Claudia who finally came down from upstairs.

"I think the steak messed with my stomach or something." She said as she sat in between my legs with Lucas laid out on the other couch; laughing at the Family Feud re-runs with Steve Harvey, I always though letting him become the host of the show was one of the best business moves that Family Feud had ever made. I could only imagine the amount of income they were making now, just the thought of it; made my money hand itch actually... meaning that I was about to make some myself.

Claudia's fingers were interlocked with mine as she used her other hand to play with her necklace. I chuckled to myself, I knew just how to distract my woman from the bigger picture which is why I got away with most things.

As if it was timed, I listened as a pair of tires rolled into the lot in the front of my house. I glanced down at my watch, realizing that they were right on time. A quarter after nine. I watched Lucas stand up and open up the curtains as if he was expecting someone. "Boy, sit down!" I commanded.

"What was that?" Claudia, asked low enough for only me to hear.

"Remember that business meeting I was telling you about."

"Want me to come with you dad?" Lucas volunteered. "It's pretty dark out there."

"Nah, I'm good. It'll be no longer than ten minutes at most, I'm not trying to let business take away from our family time." Claudia sat up, allowing me to stand. "I'll be right back." I announced, kissing her on her forehead.

"Make sure you come back with good news." Claudia relaxed, returning her attention towards the TV.

"Oh, you already know it." I slid my feet into my loafers, placing my gun into my waist band and grabbed the shed door key before I finally made my way outside to the two set of bright headlights greeting me. The driver's door of both popped open; one after each other and I watched the pair walk in my direction. "Took you guys long enough." I said, closing the house door behind me. "What's up cuz?"

"Had some trouble at the gas station while on the way." Cody said, reaching out to shake my hand.

"Well, is it taken care of?"

"As far as I'm concerned, a gas station just so happened to blow up." he smirked.

"I like the sound of that. Let me guess, Jerome's handy work?" I said letting out a chuckle.

"You already know his trade mark."

"Where they at?"

"I dropped them home, streets were too hot to be driving with evidence on their hands."

"Mhmmm and look at you Ms. London. I can see the glow already."

"Oh, please Hezzy, I'm only a few weeks in."

"Doesn't matter, I'm a father. I can sense the glow." The couple smiled, with Cody pulling London close to him by her waist. It was always good to see such young love. "I would say that we can discuss things inside but my family is in there." I stepped down for the porch, then gestured for the couple to follow me into the backyard where the fire pit was still burning across from the wooden picnic table.

I took a seat, and the couple took their seat across from me. Cody placed his phone atop of the table and interlocked his fingers, placing them down before him. "Ready to talk business?" he asked.

"You don't have to ask me twice." I placed the shed key onto the table. "So, tell me, how much do you have for me?"

"We have all of it," Cody said through a grin. "Emptied out all the trap houses and placed them into accounts the way you ordered."