Fifth Night

Solomon's Purgatory:

Chapter 5:

It wasn't a surprise to hear that there was a secret society at Weston College or that there was a gathering of shady people. He hoped that Mey-Rin or Edward would tell him more about it because he hadn't been at the school long enough to get invited to shady secret societies.

"What secret society?" he asked.

Mey-Rin baulked and made a face. Ciel could guess that Sebastian hadn't told her anything else.

"He didn't tell me. There are some official societies here. There's the Sports Club run by Greenhill, the Chess Club run by Bluewer, Violet's in charge of the Art Club and Edgar leads the Drama Club."

He had never found four people that suited their clubs so much. They did sound like run of the mill school clubs though. That being said, they were probably better funded that most clubs at other schools. The Drama Club did spark a memory of hearing about Joanne Harcourt and the tour Bluewer had given him when he had first arrived the previous day. Harcourt's accident and eventual death had been on the night of the school play. Was there a potential connection between the two events?

"Is the Drama Club above board?" He asked.

Mey-Rin's face flushed an iridescent red which confused him. Had Sebastian been a member of the Drama Club? She only seemed to blush when Sebastian was mentioned. Or maybe the cold temperature was getting to her.

"...It is a kind of also a cover for something. I don't think it's anything to do with Joanne or Sebastian...they weren't members."

Ciel was intrigued by her evasive reaction. Even if she claimed it was nothing to do with Sebastian's 'accident', he was still curious.

"Yes?"

"This school is all boys!" she blurted out. "The Drama Club acts as a sort of dating network."

Ciel understood it then. It also explained something his father had said to him about Weston College.

"My father told me I could have a gay experience here if I wanted. I'm just not allowed to do it outside of here," he sighed. "It really makes me wonder about what he was like when he was here."

Mey-Rin nodded vigorously.

"It's like that for practically everyone here considering most of them have titles and can't do it out in the open outside of this school. I heard it was tradition."

"Are there any other societies?" He decided to change the subject in case Mey-Rin reeled off a list of Drama Club members and their partners.

"Those four are the officially recognised and most popular ones. There are some smaller ones, he could have been talking about one of those. You'll probably have better luck finding out about those than me. I only get the gossip that Bardroy overhears," Mey-Rin complained.

Ciel thanked her and turned to go. Then he thought of another question to ask her. It had been at the back of his mind since he had met her. Something didn't quite add up about Sebastian and Mey-Rin.

"How did you get to know Sebastian? I have a feeling you aren't allowed to talk to pupils."

Mey-Rin's awkward twitch confirmed his guess.

"I was trying to help a cat that was caught in a tree last spring. I was hanging on for dear life when he suddenly appeared, grabbed the cat and then helped me down from the tree. We talked after that and every time I saw a cat, I saw him as well."

Ciel raised an eyebrow. Did she not think the fact that Sebastian had saved the cat before her was significant? He did appreciate the story because it reminded him that there were four cats trapped in Sebastian's wardrobe. He hated cats, but he didn't want them to starve.