Chapter Twenty-Two

Start from the beginning

I bow my head in embarrassment, but then look up and pout at my mother for not telling me. She shoots me a wink in reply whilst sticking her tongue out.

As she lifts the burger up to her mouth to take a bite, she stops and looks back at me.

"Shannon's coming up with your dad in about an hour. Forgot to mention."

I just nod as I eat my fries, thankful that it was the grease from McDonald's entering my mouth and not the gross substances that people liked to call 'hospital food'. That was all I was really focused on, until the room became filled with the sound of a phone ringing. Everyone looks around at one another, feeling their own pockets to see if it's them. I even slid my hand under the covers to check my phone, only to remember that I was wearing a hospital gown and had no clue where my phone actually was. All iPhones were then out and in the palms of everyone's hands.

"Not mine," Jessa mumbles.

They all go away, except for Ste's. His remains in the palm of his hands whilst he looks as it, almost like he isn't sure of what to do when a phone rings. He just stares at it, holding the phone close to him so that the screen is hidden. That meant one thing. The person calling him was Mia. One hundred percent. He wouldn't have been so secretive otherwise.

"Aren't you going to answer the phone to your girlfriend?" I ask him, my voice suddenly turning cold.

When he looks up at me his eyes are very apologetic. Maybe the tone of my voice was a little harsh just then.

"She can wait," he tells me, placing his phone back into his pocket.

I just look at him with a blank face. He knows full well I'm disappointed and let down by him. I mean, of course I didn't expect him to never be with another girl, because that isn't what I want. But him dating Mia Danforth after the strain she put on our relationship with her attempts to get me out of the picture, which may I say she has succeeded in doing, was something I was allowed to be pissed off at. He knew that.

"I'm surprised she didn't come with you to keep you on your leash," I add, knowing that I probably shouldn't have said that.

I hear a quiet laugh escape my mom's lips, and that's when I notice that the room was now silent as everyone listened to me and Ste.

"Why would she? I'm not her pet Sammie." He says to me with furrowed eyebrows.

I shrug, "well you know what she's like, Ste. Surely she can't be happy that you've drove to LA to see your ex-girlfriend."

If there was anyone here in the room that didn't know me and Ste dated, they sure did now.

"You're important to me, and whether she's happy about it or not I still would have come." His hand rests on top of mine once again.

I look at him weirdly, sensing an oddness in his voice and the way he's looking back at me.

I laugh sarcastically, "she doesn't know you're here, does she?"

The way he drops his head and leans back in his seat is my answer right there. I coolly place a fry into my mouth before muttering, "No, of course she doesn't."

Ste's hand remains clasped with mine, but I only realise when I follow Louis's gaze. He looks at our hands then back at me, which causes me to automatically pull my hand from Ste's. I don't really know why it made me move so quickly, but I pulled away as if my hand had just been scolded.

"You should probably get some sleep, sweet heart." My mom speaks up, noticing the yawn that then leaves my mouth.

I push the empty McDonald's boxes to the end of my bed and pull the sheets a little further to my chin. The chilliness coming from the breeze through the open window causes me to hug myself. Light spills in through the window. However, it's not sunny outside. Rain trickles down the glass windows as the wind throws the curtains into the wall. Thunder echoes through the room. Gasps escape everyone's lips in shock, as a huge flash of lightening reflects off of everyone's faces.