Chapter 12: Me for You

"Fuck," I shouted when I felt the sun rays touch my eyes

       "Fuck," I shouted when I felt the sun rays touch my eyes. I hopped out of bed and slid on the nearest sweats and Nike slides I could find. Raheem was going to curse me the fuck out. Rushing out of the bedroom, I nearly collided with my twin ego was dressed for work in his security guard attire.

      "Yo, where you hurrying off to?" He asked while I looked for my keys on the kitchen table.

      I squatted down to look under the table. "Man I overslept. I need to use your car. I forgot I had to run Heem to work."

      "What's wrong with his car?"

      "He said something about the transmission pump," I explained before I grabbed my key beside the table leg. Only it wasn't a key. What I held in my hand resembled a small clear bulb. I examined it closer and nearly collapsed when I realized what it was. I glared at Zachary who held this guilty smug on his face when he realized what I was holding in my hand.

       I stood up and held the crack pipe firmly. "Man, you doing this shit again."

      "Nah man. That ss—

      "Bruh don't lie."I snapped. "Zachary man you can't relapse back to this. You know this shit makes you have episodes."

      "I'm not mom Dwight. I can stop whenever I want to. I just needed a little hit."

     Our mother was a recovering drug addict. Due to her smoking cocaine and using other drugs while she was pregnant with us, we were born underweight and with drug withdrawals. We were placed in the system until the age of seven in which she got clean and reunited with us. Although she claimed she wasn't using anymore, every once in a while she would get an occasional high which would last a couple of days.

       It wasn't until I was fifteen that I found out my brother was also using cocaine. It had been a typical school day. We were joking and laughing with our friends. Everything was going well until Zach saw his girlfriend at the time, talking to another guy. The next thing I knew, he snapped. He had beaten his girlfriend into a bloody pulp in front of the entire school while also attacking several teachers.

       Strangely, he had no memory of it after the smoke cleared. It wasn't until the hospital ran tests on him that we found out he was also using. He even admitted that he had stolen it from our mother. After that, my mother finally got clean for real and placed Zachary in a rehab. No one knew of this. I made sure to keep Raheem away from my family drama. I didn't want anyone making any wrong assumptions about my family or me.

       However, that was the past and Zachary was now back using.

      "Zach, bruh, you can't go back. It'll mess everything you got going for yourself up." I stressed.

      "Dwight chill out. I'm not even using it like that. Shit has just been hectic lately, and I need it just to get through the bad days."

      "Bad days. Nigga what! You sound like a bitch. I fussed, holding the crack pipe up. "You trying to end up like your mama."