Chapter 11: Just for You

Start from the beginning

Bzzt

       My phone buzzed on the marble sink counter. Unplugging it from the electrical outlet, I sat on the toilet and viewed the message.

Did you make it in safe?

I smiled at the text. Before I hopped out of Mason's Porsche, he forced me into accepting his number. From that thirty minute ride, I learned a lot more about Mr. Pennington. For instance, he told me how strict his dad was with his upbringing while emphasizing that if it weren't for him, he wouldn't be where he was today. He also told me of my potential and how far I could go if I stayed on task. I couldn't lie, his encouragement had me feeling lit. I was finally on the right track in my life.

I typed my reply in the message bubble.

Yeah, I'm good.

Don't forget to call me if you need a ride in the morning. If I see you in an Uber, we're going to fight.👊🏽👊🏽🙃☺️

Only if you promise to let me whip the Porsche.

We'll work something out.😉

ThaN–

"Who you texting?"

Dwight's sudden, reverberating voice caused me to drop my phone. He picked my phone off the ground and handed it to me without even looking at it.

"It was my boss. I was trying to thank him for the ride." Dwight glossy eyes studied me as if I was lying. "I'm being honest Dwight. You can check the messages if you want."

      "I'm good."

"Are we good though?"

He narrowed his eyes, "Yea, why you ask?

      "It's just you've been in your own world for the last week, and I don't know if I'm the cause of it or not?"

"We're good Raheem. Just got a lot on my mind lately and it has nothing to with you. So stop stressing." He told me sternly but lovingly. "I trust you, and I want you to know that I'm truly sorry for not picking up the phone shawty. You forgive me, baby."

He pulled me up gently and kissed my lips softly. I could smell the marijuana in his clothes as he held me, confirming his story. I wanted to be mad, but at least he was honest.

I sighed before responding, "Yea I forgive you, just don't let it happen again sir or that's yo ass."

"Oh, you trying to take control now. He smiled. The first smile I've seen in a week. "Imma see if you back up all that mouth later on."

      "Yea, Yea, whatever." I said before stepping in the shower."

||•||

Thirty minutes later, I was out of the shower, looking for Dwight. I was expecting to see him stretched out in my bed but much to my surprise, he was nowhere to be found. I knew he wouldn't leave without telling me, so I figure he was on the living room or kitchen. Opening the bedroom door, my feet traveled to the living room. There Dwight was, holding a crying Malik in his hand. I laughed to myself as he held the baby out in front of him as if he was carrying a conversation with him. My heart fluttered in my chest as I watched him interact with a crying Malik. I honestly couldn't wait to have my family with Dwight.