Together Again

A year later, Elly's racing through the simple Mexican streets when she reaches the house she's looking for. With a deep breath, she steps into the courtyard and glances around.

"Elly? Is that you mija?" Elly smiles. "Si." The older lady's face lights up, she grabs her arm and drags her into a particular room where a young boy stood at the altar with his back turned. "Oh Miguel? Someone's here to see you." The boy turns, jaw dropping upon seeing Elly. His grandmother grins, taking his little sister from his hands.

"I'll leave you too alone." Once she's gone, he shut his jaw and shook his head, noticing the kitten in a bag at her side.

"You got a new cat." She smiles at the attempt to start a conversation. "Yes, she came to me right after Amy...stopped responding." He frowns, coming to her side.

"Is she gone? Really and truly?" She slowly nods, tears slipping down her cheeks. With a final sob she collapses into his arms and he awkwardly pats her head, noticing her new fresh flower-like scent. An idea comes to him.

"Wanna stay over tonight? For, Dia de los Muertos?" She looks up with a light smile. "Sure."

~

That night, Elly and her family join Miguel and his in the Rivera courtyard where Miguel plays on his guitar with such a joyful grin. Once the song's over, Elly so happy that he's the same, jumps up to kiss his cheek but he turns at the last minute and suddenly there isn't any space between their lips. A firework explodes in pink overhead, they pull apart slowly, eyes never wavering from the other. Finally, Miguel smiles.

"You know, you're a cool kid Elly. And you have beautiful eyes." She smiles sweetly, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear with lightly flushing cheeks. "You're pretty cool too." She hesitates before holding out a hand, he looks at it before weaving his fingers within hers. As they both look up, their faces reflect each others perfectly; sweet, calm happiness that makes them feel as light as air.

"Dinner time!" The two turn and head towards the doorway, hands never leaving each other. And when they sit together in a secluded corner, Elly smiles sweetly before leaning her head within the crock of his shoulder, he returns it gently before leaning his head on hers. Both didn't say anything, they both know 'friend' isn't quite the word they'd use to describe each other. 

The End