A Love for Music

They slipped together into a small secret space and lining the wall before them is hundreds upon thousands of Ernesto de la Cruz merchandise. Elly's jaw dropped, Miguel can't contain his grin.

"Ernesto de la Cruz is my favorite artist, his songs speak to my soul." There's a pause before Elly's hands start waving wildly, mouth opening and closing in vain to express what she wishes to say. When she finally stops, Miguel's utterly confused. He simply shrugs, Elly face palms herself before digging a hand into her bag and rummaging around. She withdraws a sheet of paper with a picture of a big red heart with the words 'Ernesto de la Cruz + Elly' written inside. Now it's Miguel's jaw that drops.

"You listen to him too?" She gleefully nods, trancing a finger over the heart. Miguel's eyes go wide. "Wait, you're one of those fans aren't you?" This time the nod is shy and slow as a visible blush creeps to her cheeks.

~

The next day, after agreeing the night before to meet again, the two met up in the same alley to let Amy dance some more. This time, Elly carried a silver backpack on her shoulders. They instantly slipped into Miguel's hideaway where she turned her bag upside down, spilling tons of Ernesto merchandise.

"Wow, your collection's a lot more portable then mine. But what's this?" He picked up a pink envelope and unfolded it, she reached for it once but reluctantly pulled back as he started to read.

" 'Dear Mr Ernesto, I think you're the wonderful musician in the world, your songs take me to the heavens and back. My name is Elly, I'd like to say I'm a young woman wishing for your devotion to me but I'm too young. I'd like to say I have a crush on you but that's impossible to think about. May your career be a marvelous one, your biggest fan. -Elly' " Miguel glanced up to see Elly blushing deeply, already holding out a message in her notepad. I intended to send that off to him a few months ago, until I found out he had been killed by that falling bell. Then I just stashed it away with all my fan stuff.

Her eyes lit up with an idea, she jolted down a new note and held it up. You wanna see something huge? "Sure." She brushed a hand over her stuff before holding up a VHS with a label on the side that said; 'What I would sing if I could.' She was also holding a black and white picture of a beautiful woman with the label 'How I wish I looked.' Shyly, she slipped the VHS into the TV and clicked the button. There was static for a moment before the song began and a sweet voice began to sing.

As it finished, Miguel watched Elly as she slowly removed it with a hint of sadness in her eyes. Looking down at the picture, he saw the same woman posed elegantly and connected the dots. He hesitated before resting a hand on her shoulder.

"You shouldn't wish you looked like someone else just to win the attention of Ernesto. You're beautiful just the way you are." Elly looked into his eyes with a smile, knowing there were no real words to be said. In the instant she did, he noticed a happy sparkle in her soft blue eyes.