Allergies

Can't believe I never thought of this before!!!

Hope you enjoy!

PS: Ive been really busy lately cause I have to work during the summer, I have some chaps already written, so thats how im updating today, but if anyone would like to try and write there own chap and send it to me through PM (if it doesnt fit, through several PMs) I would be HAPPPY!!! And in return I'll dedicate the capter to you.

Also, if I have promised one of you a dedication and have not given it to you, please do not be scared or shy to tell me, because I am very forgetful.

So ya, hope you enjoy and remember to drop a comment every now and then, and to press the vote button.

Thanks guys

xoxoxoxo

===================

Chapter 51: Allergies

How many people in the U.S. are allergic -- to ragweed pollen, cat dander, or food? What sort of impact do allergies have on society? Here's a rundown of some of the most important allergy statistics -- based on the best available data.

Number of people in the U.S. who have either allergy or asthma symptoms: one in five.

Percentage of the U.S. population that tests positive to one or more allergens: 55%.

Rank of allergies among other leading chronic diseases in the U.S.: 5th.

One estimate of the annual cost of allergies to the health care system and businesses in the U.S.: $7.9 billion.

Number of workdays lost each year as a result of hay fever: 4 million.

Number of weeks by which the ragweed pollen season has increased in the last 10 to 15 years, likely as a result of global warming: four.

Odds that a child with one allergic parent will develop allergies: 33%.

Odds that a child with two allergic parents will develop allergies: 70%.

Number of ER visits in the U.S. caused by food allergies each year: 30,000.

Percentage of the people in the U.S. who believe they have a food allergy: up to 15%.

Percentage of the people in the U.S. who actuallyhave a food allergy: 3% to 4%.

Percentage of our lives that we spend indoors: 90%.

Degree by which levels of indoor pollution in U.S. homes exceed levels of outdoor pollution: two to 100 times, depending on factors such as whether the residents smoke.

Percentage of U.S. households with one or more dogs: 39%.

Percentage of all U.S. households with detectable levels of dog and cat dander: 100%.

Percentage of people in the U.S. that have asthma: 7.7%.

Increase in the prevalence of asthma in U.S. children under age 5 between 1980 and 1994: 160%.

Number of annual ER visits in the U.S. caused by asthma: 1.8 million in 2004.

Percentage of people hospitalized for asthma who are children: About 44%.

Number of deaths each year in the U.S. from asthma: About 4,000.

Number of people with chronic allergy-like symptoms -- runny nose, congestion and cough -- but who have nonallergic rhinitis instead: one out of three.

===============

Thanks

--cece23