ch. 3 - pizzeria

I sighed, and got up from my seat. I could see the sun rising through the blinds on the windows and I was restless. 

"I wanna cozy this place up." I said. 

"Hmm?" He asked. 

I looked over at a dark door way on the opposite side of the room, "What's in there?" I asked. 

"Umm, that's the main area of the pizzeria." He said. 

I walked through the doorway and felt around the wall for a light switch, "Where's the switch?" I called out. 

"Oh, it's not in the hall. You've gotta walk through and then it's on the other side." He explained.

I walked through and flipped the switch. Nothing happened. 

"Why aren't the lights coming on?" I called out.

Gaten laughed, "The powers out, remember?" 

"Oh...right." I mumbled. 

I grabbed a flash light that sat on the counter, wondering why we didn't bring that into the room we had been in all night

I grabbed a flash light that sat on the counter, wondering why we didn't bring that into the room we had been in all night. I looked around and saw a beautiful room with checkered floors and red booths. 

"Do you think there's food here?" I asked. 

"I doubt it. We haven't been open for a while." He said. 

"Define a while." I said. 

"Like a year." He said. 

"I bet I could make something.." I said. 

I ventured to the back of the room and found a pantry with lots of cans. 

Gaten walked in and sat at the counter, "Everything here is expired." he said. 

"No, canned veggies can last up to two to five years. Canned chicken can too- aha! Yes!" I exclaimed. I found a pile of canned foods and looked through them. I had everything I'd need. 

"What are you making?" He asked. 

"Chicken Tortilla soup!" I exclaimed. 

"Why is all that stuff in there, it's a pizza place.." He mumbled. 

"Who cares? At least we've got food." I said. 

I lit the gas stove with a match and put a pot over it before draining the juices from each can. 

"Are you positive this isn't going to kill us?" He asked. 

"Ya know," I didn't look up from the cans, "You are a negative nancy. No, this isn't going to kill us."

I poured all the cans into the pot with a can of chicken broth. I sprinkled some spices into it and let it simmer. 

I put another pot of tap water on the stove, "Hey, the water purification system is down, that water is probably dirty." Gaten said. 

"That's why I'm boiling it." I said. 

It's like this guy had never thought about the end of the world in his life. 

I dropped 3 english breakfast tea bags into the pot and put a lid on it. 

"We're having soup and tea, that okay?" I asked.

He didn't say anything. As the soup was simmering I mixed sugar into the tea. I found two red plastic cups and poured tea inside. "I hope those are at least luke warm when this is done." I mentioned. 

After a while I brought out two bowls of soup and two drinks on a tray. 

"Bon Appétit."  I said. 

Gaten smiled, "I'm impressed, how'd you do all that?" He asked. 

I laughed, "I mean you saw how.".

"Well yeah, but I mean...you know what you're doing." He said. 

"Yeah, my friend was always crazy about the end of the world so she was always telling me tips and tricks on how to survive. I wonder if she'd be proud of me right now..." I said. 

He sat silently for a moment, "She would." He said.

I got lost in his eyes. Yet again I had to force myself out. Gaten liking me is delusional. So we sat, and we ate. I tried to stop myself from thinking of him in that way. Repeating phrases in my brain like, "You don't really know him, you've only seen him behind a screen." and every other rational thought you can think of, but I still felt the energy between us. To bad he couldn't feel it.