Square patterns

Caitlin's pov

"You know how I told you that it was just a crush and that I'd get over i-it?"
Elizabeth struggles sniffling  before finishing, "It was a lie. I haven't gotten over it an-and now s-sh-she's seeing this one guy-" Elizabeth stopped abruptly and the way she breathed heavily made it clear that she was crying.

I opened my mouth and shut it again not knowing how to comfort her, she had never cried in front of me before and I wanted to help her but I didn't know what to do.

"Are you sure? Did she tell you?" I asked hoping for a misunderstanding.

Her voice was naisaly now, "Yea."

The line went quiet, "I think, I think it's because somehow somewhere I was h-hoping she'd that she'd," she made this sound, the sound you make when you're trying not to cry but your body betrays you.

"I'm so sorry Elizabeth," I said quietly my heart aching for her.

"Armhm," she said sniffling.

There was shuffling and then, "No don't come in," Elizabeth said loudly, she breathed in loudly through her nose and coughed, "I'm sick that's all!"

"Hold on," she said to me, and the line went static but I could hear her yelling.

"Just put it under the door... Wh.. What?" Elizabeth was ordering.

"I-I no. Tell her to go home."

She was gentler now, "Tell her she'll catch my sick, tell her I'm ok." I listened intently.

"Hey you,"

Jumping I turned around to see Clementine peeking at me from behind the door.

"My mom's calling you," she said cheekily, but averted her gaze when I looked her in the eye.

"I'll be down in a minute," I told her, clutching my phone to my chest.

She nodded and dragged her eyes across the floor subtly before going away.

"Elizabeth," I said into the phone.

No reply.

"Hey," I tried again, "You there? Elizabeth."

"I'm here," she said quietly.

"Was that Celest? At your house?"

"Yeah," she said and sniffed before shuffling.

"I can't let her see me right now," she said, seeming to say it more to herself than to me.

"I need to be alone right now to think." She said finally.

"About what?" I asked surprised by her calm recovery after crying so hard. She was strong.

"About what I'm going to do next, for real this time," she said strongly, "Caitlin, I gotta go, thank you for listening to me."

"It's no problem," I told her now calmer myself, "I'll talk to you later."

She agreed and hung up.

I stared at my phone and leaned against the headrest of my bed. She cried really hard, if things hadn't worked out for me probably I'd also...

Shaking my head I stood up not wanting to think about that and headed down stairs.

*°*°*°*°*°

"I need you to help me get her into one." Michelle had whispered into my ear an hour before. I had looked at her quizzically because she had seemed pretty cool with the idea of Clementine not wearing a dress. She said something about a tux clashing with the color schemes of the bridesmaids or something like that, I wasn't listening after I started imagining Clementine in a dress.