Advice #29 ~ Crush With Language Barrier

Q: I really like this kid and well let's just say...we have a language barrier.

He speaks Spanish as a first language, and I speak English as a first. He's from Chile and he seems really sweet and kind by the way he treats me. But the thing is, I can't interact with him very well. He's in 3 of my periods out of a 6 period day. I have him for LA/SS and PE. I usually watch him from a far, trying not to make it obvious I like a foreigner, since I myself am not born into America. I sometimes talk to him after school. I like to ask him about his day and if he's doing anything but he speaks only a limited amount of English. So every time we have a conversation, it's hollow. He did tell me, however, some deep stuff about him. He told me he moved it America due to his grandmother, his legal guardian, became ill. So now he lives with his aunt. I told him some things about me too. I think he wants to get to know me too, but he's really shy and I'm really shy too. I only speak Spanish from the class period I have. But otherwise, we have a barrier between us. So how do we interact with each other when we can't?

~ Anonymous

A: My gym teacher once told me she had students in another school who all spoke different languages. They were playing a game and the students had to point and address all the objects and signals to address what they were talking out. In the end, they all became friends and learned some different things from each other.

What you could do is just build conversation and include him in things. Maybe start a conversation about let's say pets. Language helps us complete our thoughts and hear others thoughts. 

I would also just become friends with him and look for signs of a relationship. Since you guys already tell each other things then it shouldn't really be that hard. 

if your shy then I would build up the courage to talk to him about things friends would talk about and I would become friends (sorry that I'm repeating this but it's really important :) with him and just "go with the flow"

Hope this helps, 

Over & Out, 

- simk83 -