Chapter 1: Encounter

Sparring practice has just ended, and I wipe my face with the towel draped around my shoulders. Time to hit the showers and relax until I get a mission! This is one of those semi-free days that I've learned to appreciate. It's been a while since I've joined the Crimson Lions, but Captain Fuegoleon still gives me a steady stream of assignments so that I can find the ones that fit my abilities the best. So far dungeons are my preferred type of job, but I don't mind going after fugitives or criminals.

I make a turn and continue walking down the bright and airy hallway bordered by open arches. I smile faintly as I hear birds chirping from the courtyard. Stopping for a moment, I let the breeze cool my face. It's just so peaceful and quiet here, something that's pretty rare in the Crimson Lions' base. The trees and grass create splashes of green under the sunlight, and I can see butterflies hovering over roses and daisies alike.

Get to the showers, dummy. You'll definitely get missions today, so you gotta be in tip-top shape! I snap out of my daze and hurry down the hallway, breaking into a run. Just as I reach the end and make a sharp turn, I come face to face with a wall of muscle.

"Ow!" I yelp, jumping back, my nose tingling in pain from the collision. I look up, and to my dread, I find that I've run into Leopold Vermillion, the younger brother of Captain Fuegoleon. It seems he's come from the sparring ring as well, sweat drenching his white tank top and leftover concentration still creasing his face. He's infamous in the Crimson Lions for having little tolerance for commoners like me. Great, and I thought today was going to be a good day. I bow slightly, fear creeping up my spine. "I'm so sorry for bumping into you! It won't happen again!"

"It better not, commoner." I can feel his glare burning into my skin as I stare at the ground. He gives a huff and turns away, and I wait until his footsteps fade into the distance before I race straight to the showers. He really is as bad as they say! I should be more careful!