forty-seven

Taylor Swift
••• Sweet Nothing •••

they said the end is comingeveryone's up to somethingi find myself running home to your sweet nothingsoutside, they're push and shovingyou're in the kitchen hummingall that you ever wanted from me was sweet nothing

everyone's up to something
i find myself running home to your sweet nothings
outside, they're push and shoving
you're in the kitchen humming
all that you ever wanted from me was sweet nothing

•••••

This chapter is a goddamn behemoth (11.4k words) so uhhh idk just pretend it's a super late Valentine's Day special or smth

TW: blood

  "Concentrate, Y/n," Wu ordered as the branches above us rustled in the old summer wind. "You must be entirely level when you call upon your powers. They do not obey a scattered focus."

  Eyes closed, I ushered at the energy of the world beneath me. It teased the edges of my mind, painting my corners with brushstrokes of headaches and a swelling beneath my chest. The addictive pull of power was mollified by the pain it promised, something powerful my body had yet to learn to contain. My brow twitched with the subtle sensations that crossed across me like the waves of an ocean.

  Sitting before me was Lloyd. My hands laid upon his, a replicate of our position that night on the deck of the Bounty. I was more in tune with myself than I was back then. I could feel the weaving of force around him, the spirit of the world that tangled about his essence more than anyone else's, wavering threads that I could pluck and play with.

  "Whereas our Elemental Powers respond to our emotional states, your powers rely on intent and commitment to be brought forth," Wu's low, wise voice continued. "Lloyd grounds you, he brings your mind still. But you cannot use him nor your ancestor's guidance as a crutch forever."

  I gathered the energy that surrounded Lloyd and then found myself at a loss to do with it. What were my powers, really? What abilities did I hold deep within myself? I could protect with a shield and I could supercharge Lloyd's powers, but how on earth did they connect? How could I bring them forward at will rather than desperate need?

  I was unsure. It eluded me still. My powers weren't like the elements; I couldn't bring a ball of energy to life like Lloyd, I couldn't conjure a sphere of water nor alight a flame out of nothing. I couldn't form something small and controllable out of what sat deep within me.

  The leaves of the trees above us swayed within the wind. Inside the monastery, Kashu barked. I coralled my focus back to myself.

  "Now, Lloyd."

  At Wu's behest, Lloyd summoned his powers. The effects on the force around him was momentous and blinding, twin stars born in the palms of his hands. The energy trembled and thrived like something living, and I felt a plug within my soul get plucked by gentle fingers. My powers rushed through the opening it left. They answered his call obediently and eagerly.

  I squinted my eyes open. The peachy-coloured dome surrounded us, and the same colour waltzed amongst the green sphere that hovered above our upturned palms. A throb behind my skull made me grimace. My hands began to shake.