A Narrow Escape

Harry and the team of Section D watched intently as Nyssa conned her way into the offices of the Pakistani Consulate. He could not help but be impressed by her abilities. The irritated reporter idea was hers as well as using Jack as a decoy, a very clever ruse to say the least.

Nyssa managed to 'convince' the delegate to escort her into the back offices. Everything was going as planned and ahead of schedule. It was easier than they anticipated.

While Nyssa entered the head of security’s private office, Ros' mobile rang from her desk. She left the group to answer her phone. Ros saw that it was Lucas calling and remembered that he was supposed to meet with Elizabeta that morning.

“Lucas, what's wrong?” she asked while glancing at the team around Malcolm’s station.

"Ros, stop the operation. It's a trap!" said Lucas sounding very anxious.

“What? Slow down, Lucas. What are you talking about?” Ros could hear the panic in Lucas' voice. Something did not feel right.

"The Pakistani consulate, Ros. It's a trap. Abort the mission. Get Nyssa out of there."

Before Ros could ask for more details, Connie announced that they had a big problem. The Pakistani security was already alerted to Nyssa’s position, but how could that be? Nyssa barely had time to insert the memory stick into the computer. Ros put Lucas on hold and returned to Malcolm’s station for an update.

“What’s happening?” she asked over Harry’s shoulder.

“Pakistani security is searching the offices. They know that there's a breach,” answered Malcolm.

"Malcolm, what's wrong?" asked Nyssa over the comm-link. "Security's already checking the offices. You said that i would have two minutes before they discovered the hack."

“Security had already been alerted,” he said with a heavy heart. “Someone must have told them. Nyssa, I'm sorry. I’m afraid you’re trapped.”

The entire team seemed to be holding their collective breaths when Malcolm announced Nyssa’s fate. She and Jack were in there alone, and there was nothing that Harry could do without risking a foreign relations nightmare.

"Ros, what's happening?" shouted Lucas through the phone.

“Lucas, we need you back on the grid,” she ordered.

"What about Nyssa? What's happened that you're not telling me, Ros?" demanded Lucas.

For a split second, Ros was about to explain the situation but decided against it. She did not want to explain over the mobile in case there might be other people listening. Also, Lucas sounded like he was on the edge. His feelings for Nyssa was overriding his better judgment. He needed to be here to assess the situation himself.

Harry overheard Ros' conversation and knew that she was speaking to Lucas. He suddenly had a plan and rushed toward Ros in the hopes to catch Lucas before they rang off. He ordered Ros to hand him the mobile while Malcolm still remained in contact with Nyssa. It was a plan created on the fly and no guarantee that it would work, but he was not about to accept what seemed inevitable without trying something.

“Lucas, delay that order and head to the Pakistani consulate. I need you to wait a block from the building and don’t try to go inside yourself. Whoever alerted the Pakistanis are obviously watching everything. If you get caught, we'll have a foreign relations nightmare on our hands,” demanded Harry.

As much as Lucas wanted to protest, he agreed and drove straight toward the consulate under Harry's orders. Harry returned the mobile to Ros and turned toward the others. Malcolm was still at his computer with everyone at their own stations waiting for Harry to tell them how they could help.
“Nyssa, is there a way you can escape from that office without anyone seeing you?” Harry asked through the comm-link.