Back to Square One

Lucas watched Nyssa exit Harry's office with Connie in the lead. Connie was taking Nyssa to the conference room. She had a brown file folder in her hands. He assumed that it was the blacklist file that Nyssa had wanted for months. That also meant that Nyssa must have signed the Official Secrets document.

He sighed and relaxed a little knowing that she finally accepted Harry's offer. Now, the service could protect her as an asset. And, I can protect her. He smiled to himself and turned his attention back to Malcolm.

"Malcolm, I have something for you," he said as he pulled out the transmitter that Nyssa gave him. "Have a look at this. I need to know where it came from."

Malcolm took the transmitter from Lucas' hand and studied it. Malcolm's knowledge of all things electronic or explosive would rival Google. He turned it over a few times in his palm before he spoke.

"It's a long-range transmitter used for surveillance, a listening device. It works by wiring it to a power source. It's an older model by at least a few years," said Malcolm.

"Do you know where it came from?"

"I believe it's Russian in origin. Where did you get this?"

Malcolm looked up at Lucas with concern. Lucas mirrored the same expression but decided not to uncover any details. He needed to work with Nyssa on finding those men she spoke about before he talked to the team, especially Harry.

"Find out all you can about this thing and get back to me," said Lucas ignoring Malcolm's question.

Ros exited Harry's office and walked toward Malcolm and Lucas. She called for Lucas to come into the office then turned and walked back.

Lucas left Malcolm to do his work and followed Ros into the office. Harry was still seated at his desk while Ros stood in the doorway. When Lucas entered, he took a seat facing Harry as Ros closed the sliding door and sat in the other seat.

"Nyssa has finally agreed to work with us. After she reads over her blacklist file, I'll instruct her to assemble her team later today to finish the paperwork and bring them into the fold. I need you to work as her handler."

Lucas nodded his head in agreement. It was no surprise since that was the plan in the beginning. It also made protecting Nyssa a little easier.

"How is your relationship with Nyssa progressing?" asked Harry.

"She is still very guarded, but I believe she is beginning to trust me."

Harry glanced at Ros who shared a similar look. This exchange did not go unnoticed by Lucas. It made him wonder what Harry and Ros knew about them.

"And, there is nothing more you wish to tell us?" asked Ros.

Lucas glanced from Harry to Ros. Both of them were waiting for his answer. He knew what the question was implying and he did not like it. What went on between him and Nyssa was their business, yet he also knew that in the intelligence service, there was no such thing as a private life. Rather than skirt the issue and cause problems for the team, Lucas decided to come clean and take a direct approach.

"I know what you're really asking, Harry. Did I sleep with her? Fine, the answer is, yes. We did," Lucas said forcefully.

Harry closed his eyes and took a breath. He suspected that there was something going on between them, but he hoped for his officer's sake, that it did not escalate to that. He knew all too well the pain involved with those types of relationships.

Officially, this also created new problems for him. One of his officers crossed the line and behaved in a most unprofessional way. If he followed the manual, he would have to report it and bring disciplinary action against Lucas on an ethics violation.