A New Direction

Lucas drove back to his flat to meet with Jack. With Nyssa temporarily being held at Thames House, he could focus completely on their side operation, getting Zach to reveal where the money was hidden.

Jack entered Lucas' flat grumbling about dressing in a suit. He was never the office type and preferred combat duty over a desk job for a reason. Lucas smiled to himself as he left Jack in the living room to fetch his jacket. Nyssa’s friends were beginning to grow on him.

Working on this job with Nyssa gave Lucas the chance to observe how Nyssa and her team operated. It was like a play with each member having a part that they played. They knew exactly what they were doing, and they trusted each other to watch their backs.

While Lucas was retrieving his jacket from his bedroom, Jack asked about Nyssa. He knew that despite Nyssa’s habit of constantly getting into trouble, she would come out unscathed in the end. But, that did not stop his inner anxiety he always felt for his best friend.

“Your boss isn’t too brassed off, is he? Nyssa can be a bit…well, you know.” He smiled.

Lucas understood all too well about Nyssa’s personality. He had never met anyone more stubborn. How did the CIA ever allow her to run her operations this way? If he did not know any better, he would have guessed that she angered enough superiors who forced her into early retirement.

“She may have tried what little patience Harry has, but she's fine. She will be a guest at Thames House for the remainder of the afternoon. That will give us time to finish this job.”

“Tried his patience…..” Jack smiled again. “Not bloody likely, mate. That’s a nice way of saying that it took all his strength and will to keep from killing her.”

“I've never met a woman who refuses to follow orders and puts herself in harm’s way for an operation. It can’t always be about trust.” Lucas sounded more like he was asking a question than making a statement.

“When I was in the army and working operations with her, she was always looking after the team. When we lost some good people on compromised jobs, she took their deaths to heart. She cares more about the innocent people of this world than you know. It wasn't just a job to her.”

Lucas took a moment to reflect on what Jack told him. He could see that in Nyssa. When they were talking with Danny's mother Karen, Lucas could see the compassion that Nyssa had for this woman's problem. The more he learned about Nyssa’s character, the more it helped him understand her.

Jack’s complaints about his tie being too tight brought Lucas back to the present, and the two men set off to meet Zach at the club. It was mid-afternoon when Lucas pulled up to the club in the Aston Martin. He parked in front of the building and was greeted by Zach personally. As true to his character, Lucas started for the door leaving Jack to follow behind.

Once the three men entered the club, Lucas quickly had a look around. The place was very different from the last time he was there. The club had not yet opened for the evening, so the room was practically vacant. The main dance hall was much larger than perceived when crowded with people. It was still dark with the blue and gold lighting which made it difficult to see.

Instead of escorting the two men into the back room, Zach directed Lucas and Jack toward one of the tables in the dance hall near the bar. He already had a champagne bottle and glasses sitting at the table.

“Zach, this is my pain in the ass lawyer who handles all my finances, Mr. Thomas Brady,” said Lucas as he motioned to Jack behind him.

Jack smiled and extended his hand to Zach who greeted Jack with a grand smile of his own. Jack could tell that the club manager was very eager to close the deal and get his hands on the money.