Revelations

Lucas and Nyssa sat in silence half way to Thames House until Lucas pulled into a cafe and parked the car. Nyssa looked at him in confusion when he killed the engine then turned to face her.

"Get out of the car, we're going in for some coffee, and you are going to bloody tell me what the hell is going on," he demanded.

"I had my coffee. Have you forgotten how I detest being told what to do?" She fired back.

But, Lucas was having none of it. He was prepared to pull her out of the car by the hair if necessary. He opened his door and exited the vehicle, then walked to the other side and opened her door.

"Get out, or I will drag you into that café." His voice told her that be meant it.

Nyssa sat immobile for a few seconds contemplating her decision to either obey his direction or punch him in the stomach. Eventually, she unhooked her seat belt and climbed out of the car. She pushed past him and headed into the café while he slammed the door in anger and followed her in.

"You're buying. I take mine with cream and sugar," Nyssa said once they entered the café. She left him at the counter and moved toward a table by the window.

Lucas placed the orders and waited for the coffees. He glanced over at Nyssa every few seconds to make sure she was still there while he waited in line. She sat facing him but stared out the window, never looking in his direction.

When the coffees arrived, he paid the tab, and brought the drinks to the table. He sat in the chair opposite her, placed her coffee in front of her, and waited for a response. She picked up the coffee and sipped it but refused to look or even speak to him. She was obviously upset, but her body language was different somehow. Her shoulders looked slumped, and she seemed tired.

"Nyssa, look at me," Lucas said in a softer tone.

Nyssa took a breath then tore her eyes from the window and glanced up. A hint of tears glistened in her eyes causing them to look shiny. She blinked a few times to keep Lucas from noticing, but he was too observant not to see.

"Why are you acting like this? What happened to us that made you feel this way?"

Nyssa took a deep breath and averted his eyes before she spoke. It was time that she explained herself to him. She, at least, owed him that much.

"When I woke up this morning, you were gone. You didn't leave a note, a phone call, text, nothing. It was then that I remembered what last night was all about. I let it get too personal, and I am angrier at myself than at you. I apologize for lashing out. It was really my fault, not yours," she said without looking at him.

Suddenly, it all made sense to him. Everything that she told him combined with what he learned about her from Marilyn brought it all to the surface. Their night together was nothing more than two people blowing off a little steam. Only, to Lucas, it was more than that. Nyssa's relationship with her father had damaged her. It would take a lot for him to convince her of his intentions.

"Nyssa, I was called onto the grid. I didn't want to wake you. I should have said something before I left. I am sorry for that, but I never meant to hurt you. I don't regret what happened between us."

"Well, it doesn't matter now. You and I can't have anything more than that. It was just the two of us releasing the tension we created. That's all."

She sipped her coffee while Lucas watched her. He knew that she did not believe that for a second. She was lying when it came to her feelings. She was denying it in the hope that she would spare herself any pain that she was certain would come.