Falling For A Criminal - Chapter Seven

Começar do início

He stood up and slowly composed himself. “We have a problem.”

“And what would that be?” I asked with a sigh escaping my lips. Everything with him was a problem.

“I was driving around, and I stopped by your girls house-”

“-she's not my girl.”

Ignoring me as if I hadn't interrupted him, he continued, “I was driving past her house and it looked like someone had broken in. It didn't look like anyone was home, so I parked the car, walked into her house and saw that there definitely was a break in.” Running a hand through his dark brown hair, he bit his lip and looked at me directly in the eyes. “They was a struggle, and now she's nowhere to be found.”

When he said that, I felt my jaw clench, but remembering what she said earlier, I simply leaned back against the frame of the door again and brought the cigarette to my lips again. I knew that Chase was watching me; expecting me to do something that would help the situation at hand, but I wasn't her baby sitter, and she wasn't my responsibility.

He seemed to know what I was thinking because he rolled his eyes and took the cigarette right out of my hands and placed it in his own; taking a quick puff. “You know you can't just let her go missing. You were the last person seen with her-”

“-what happened after she left the school was her problem. No one said make it easy for people to break into your house.”

Handing the cigarette back to me, he shook his head. “I have reason to believe that Jayson had something to do with it.”

Eying him curiously, I narrowed my eyes at the sound of my rival gang leaders name. What could he possibly have to do with this? He didn't know anything about my occasional conversations with Adriana, so why he would want her, was completely beyond me. “What makes you think that.”

“Because,” he turned to walk inside the house, but not before handing me a note, “whoever did his dirty work for him, left this note.” And with that, he walked back into the house to escape the cold winter air.

I didn't want to read the note; I knew it would piss me off, and I already had a head ache. Every part of me wanted to just throw the note away and let Adriana find her way back to safety on her own, but I knew if I wanted to finish what I had started, I needed to know where she was and I needed to know how to get her back to safety. I may not like her, but she was a priority at the moment.

Sighing, I opened the note and read it to myself.

I'm only guessing that a member of your group will find this, Haydn, so, I'll just let you know that we have your little girlfriend. I told you that you shouldn't play with fire. Now she has to suffer, not that it matters to you, of course. But if you want her back, come fight for her at the usual spot.

-Jayson

I rolled my eyes; throwing the paper on the ground and continued to smoke my cigarette. Just by the 'friendliness' in his note, I knew that he was bluffing, but then again, who could refuse a good fight? Of course I'd have my men there to back me up in case he pulled anything funny; it's not like it would be the first time.

So, throwing the last of the cigarette on the floor, I stuck my hands in my pockets and walked in the direction of the fight club. Really, it was just an old abandoned warehouse, but the cops stopped checking on it about ten years ago. All kinds of street fights went on here—mainly between the rival gangs—and whenever one was scheduled, anyone and everyone knew that blood would be shed, and someone was going to get hurt. It sent a message though: